The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   Peak Rotary Vise- Pedestal Base (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/315251-peak-rotary-vise-pedestal-base.html)

Walter1023 03-31-2013 11:58 AM

Peak Rotary Vise- Pedestal Base

Just wanted to give a shout out on my new vice. I've been tying on a Griffin Odysey Spider since I started...which for my $85 investment has been excellent. Its clamped to my tying desk in my room and has handled sz 6 to sz 26 flies fine. I actually wanted a pedestal Vise so I can tie downstairs on the dining room table sometimes. I took advanatge of a 10% special from J Stockard with free shipping ...$134. This is a really nice and solid vise....easy to put together etc. I didn't get the Midge Jaws but that may be on my future list so far i've been tying 14 thru 18 and its excellent.

jpbfly 03-31-2013 12:07 PM

Re: Peak Rotary Vise- Pedestal Base

Not surprised you like the Peak...very good deal;)...beware not to drop the pedestal base on your feet...it's quite heavy:D

jaybo41 03-31-2013 12:11 PM

Congratulations Walter. I've had my Peak for almost 5 years now and I've been very pleased with it. I have yet to need to contact them for Customer Service so that's untested for me but I have heard good thing. Stockard is a great place to order from, They have an excellent selection and great customer service. I love their monthly specials, special offers and the frequent tier program.

Since you mentioned that you tie down to 26, I'd highly recommend the midge jaws. I've used the standard jaws for anything from 1/0 down to 18 and they work just fine. When I'm cranking out flies for a trip or for my bud to use on an upcoming trip, I knock everything larger than 18 out of the way first, then switch to the midge jaws and tie 18's and smaller. The good thing about them is they also do a fine job from 12- 26. They will also work on 8's but you really have to be careful where to place the hook. I don't bother with anything smaller than 28:)

Enjoy the new vise!

theboz 03-31-2013 05:04 PM

Congratulations on the new vise! Im very happy with my Peak , wish I would have gotten it at your price! Good deal!

mcnerney 03-31-2013 05:49 PM

Walter: Congrats on the new Peak vise! I've had mine for about three years and it has performed flawlessly. Lots of great vises out there now days, you just have to find one that fits your style and pocket book.

quimby 03-31-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter1023 (Post 542483)
Just wanted to give a shout out on my new vice. I've been tying on a Griffin Odysey Spider since I started...which for my $85 investment has been excellent. Its clamped to my tying desk in my room and has handled sz 6 to sz 26 flies fine. I actually wanted a pedestal Vise so I can tie downstairs on the dining room table sometimes. I took advanatge of a 10% special from J Stockard with free shipping ...$134. This is a really nice and solid vise....easy to put together etc. I didn't get the Midge Jaws but that may be on my future list so far i've been tying 14 thru 18 and its excellent.

I got my Peak from J Stockard as well several months ago. I felt like I made a good investment and I'm really happy with it so far.

jaybo41 04-02-2013 03:33 PM

They have a nice deal going on, this month only for those interested in a Peak vise. Buy one and get $25 in materials for free. Your choice of materials. That's a nice bonus.

rccola712 04-12-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpbfly (Post 542484)
Not surprised you like the Peak...very good deal;)...beware not to drop the pedestal base on your feet...it's quite heavy:D

Now that sounds like experience talking there! OUCH!:yikes: