The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 11:43 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Last fly i'll ever tie....

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
By the way, I think your pictured fly is probably the most beautiful I have ever seen...

Dave
I will second that..........and, the OP fooled me also....I didn't catch on until I read a few posts......
s fontinalis likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 04-01-2013, 11:46 AM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

I was ready to send you a check.
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
This one is kinda ugly

Cock O' The Walk, from J.H. Hale, 3rd edition
Tied on a vintage Harrison hallow point blind eye, size 3

Click the image to open in full size.

not ugly enough
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:38 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Good one Eunan! Had me going! Was ready to put one of your flys in the antique collectible pile!
s fontinalis likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-01-2013, 12:54 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

bought it hook line and sinker
beautiful fly btw...

casey
s fontinalis likes this.

ARFE
Old 04-01-2013, 01:25 PM

quimby is on a distinguished road

I was fooled as well.

Noob question incoming:

What is going on with the hook eye? Is that a special technique?
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:27 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

up until the mid 1800's, hooks were made with no eyes. They eyes were formed from twisted silk worm gut.
In fact, right through the early 1900's, blind eye hooks were used as the eyed hooks were 'not fully trusted' as having fish holding ability.

Virtually all classic salmon flies, and early trout flies were tied on blind eye hooks, with gut eyes, or horse hair snells in the case of some trout/bass flies.

Eunan
quimby likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 04-01-2013, 01:39 PM

quimby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
up until the mid 1800's, hooks were made with no eyes. They eyes were formed from twisted silk worm gut.
In fact, right through the early 1900's, blind eye hooks were used as the eyed hooks were 'not fully trusted' as having fish holding ability.

Virtually all classic salmon flies, and early trout flies were tied on blind eye hooks, with gut eyes, or horse hair snells in the case of some trout/bass flies.

Eunan
Here is another noob question:

Can you tie regular knots (clinch) or do you have to use a special loop type of knot?

Also when you use those flies, what does it look like coming out of the water? The flies you tie look so amazing, but I was wonder what they look like after they get wet.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:47 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

I dont fish with these flies. They are for display only.
If i was to fish the patterns i'd use eyed hooks.

In terms of coming out of the water, I cant speak for the salmon flies, but for winged wet trout flies, the wings become unmarried and 'mixed' fibers.

They look nothing like you see them in the photos i post - same will apply to the salmon flies.

Pitzen knot is the one i'd use on gut eyed flies, and even eyed hooks, give the fly more movement in the water.

Eunan

Addicted To Vise
Old 04-01-2013, 02:14 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

I still expect some good deals on your gear.....

Ha!