The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By jaybo41
  • 3 Post By planettrout
  • 1 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 09:02 PM

lacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nice
Default (Dumb?) hook question

Is there a cross-reference between manufacturer's hooks? For instance, what Daiichi hook corresponds to a Tiemco 2488?

Bob
Old 04-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: (Dumb?) hook question

Hi Bob, Check the links on this thread; Hook Cross reference?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-02-2013, 09:32 PM

lacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nice

Thanks, Ard!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:00 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Not a dumb question by any stretch of the means. Here's one that you might find helpful. When I've had a question about hooks to research, Google has always been my friend until I find what I'm looking for.

Hook Chart
Hardyreels and brucerducer like this.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The hook charts I looked at are good for referencing shape, but I did not see where they state anything about size differences. I made a thread a while back where I got the exact same shape I had been buying in Mustad hooks, in a Daiichi hook. I used 1/0 in Mustad and got the 1/0 in the Daiichi. Here's what I got.
Click the image to open in full size.

I had to go up to a 5/0 in the Daiichi to get the same size as the Mustad 1/0.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:34 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacanadio View Post
Is there a cross-reference between manufacturer's hooks? For instance, what Daiichi hook corresponds to a Tiemco 2488?

Bob
Daiichi does not make a hook similar to the TMC 2488...Love Steve S. but his hook chart is WRONG... the Daiichi 1130 is a light wire SCUD hook and does not look anything like the TMC 2488...this is the BEST HOOK CHART I have come across to date:

https://www.box.com/s/01db9ea439c7fbd59b55

PT/TB
jaybo41, lacanadio and brucerducer like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 04-03-2013, 06:13 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: (Dumb?) hook question

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
Daiichi does not make a hook similar to the TMC 2488...Love Steve S. but his hook chart is WRONG... the Daiichi 1130 is a light wire SCUD hook and does not look anything like the TMC 2488...this is the BEST HOOK CHART I have come across to date:

https://www.box.com/s/01db9ea439c7fbd59b55

PT/TB
Thanks for that reference PT. You're right, that's as good and comprehensive of a hook chart as I have seen.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
The hook charts I looked at are good for referencing shape, but I did not see where they state anything about size differences. I made a thread a while back where I got the exact same shape I had been buying in Mustad hooks, in a Daiichi hook. I used 1/0 in Mustad and got the 1/0 in the Daiichi. Here's what I got.
Click the image to open in full size.

I had to go up to a 5/0 in the Daiichi to get the same size as the Mustad 1/0.
Hook designations are starting to sound like rod weight ratings. Glad I've built a nice collection of hooks and can just grab the one that looks right.
Guest1 likes this.