The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   Good Online Shop for Quality Fly Tying Materials (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/315575-good-online-shop-quality-fly-tying-materials.html)

boomslang 04-03-2013 01:37 PM

Good Online Shop for Quality Fly Tying Materials

Hi There,
I would like your suggestions on a good online store/source for quality fly tying materials. I do not need the cheapest available. But, I am interested in quality materials at a decent price. I have been checking with my local fly shop, but I find their selection to be pretty limited.

I am interested to know about both Trout fly materials and Salmon/steelhead fly materials. A store with good variety and deep inventory would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help.

B.

gt05254 04-03-2013 01:48 PM

Re: Good Online Shop for Quality Fly Tying Materials

Two of my favorites (you can add the www. and the .com because hotlinks here are, I believe, a no-no): stoneriveroutfitters and redshedflyshop

Gary

Guest1 04-03-2013 02:10 PM

One of the things I like about the Red Shed shop is that when everyone went hackle crazy for hair extensions, the Red Shed put right on their site that they were not selling to hair people. I believe the exact words were "if you can't talk the talk don't even try". That puts him up in my book.

s fontinalis 04-03-2013 02:12 PM

There are blogs all over the internet and some of them:icon_wink:icon_wink have lists down the left hand side with a list of reputable fly tying materials stores!!

mcnerney 04-03-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gt05254 (Post 543629)
Two of my favorites (you can add the www. and the .com because hotlinks here are, I believe, a no-no): stoneriveroutfitters and redshedflyshop

Gary

Gary: Links are fine, especially when you are replying to a request for information. What we frown on is self-promoting links, where it looks like the only reason someone comes on the site is to promote their business.

Larry

boomslang 04-03-2013 02:22 PM

Good info. I am familiar with poppy and Red Shed. Cool. Would like more suggestions. Also, are there any ebay store you frequently use or would recommend as a good supplier.

mcnerney 04-03-2013 02:28 PM

Also take a look at J Stockard and Feathercraft.

flytire 04-03-2013 02:28 PM

contents deleted

gt05254 04-03-2013 03:22 PM

I forgot another very good one, particularly for feathers: Feathersmc.com: Home
That is John McClain's shop, and he another of the good guys.
Gary

ted4887 04-03-2013 04:31 PM

I'd also ad Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters(chifly.com). I also like the Caddis Fly Shop.