The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 01:37 PM

boomslang is on a distinguished road
Default Good Online Shop for Quality Fly Tying Materials

Hi There,
I would like your suggestions on a good online store/source for quality fly tying materials. I do not need the cheapest available. But, I am interested in quality materials at a decent price. I have been checking with my local fly shop, but I find their selection to be pretty limited.

I am interested to know about both Trout fly materials and Salmon/steelhead fly materials. A store with good variety and deep inventory would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help.

B.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:48 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Good Online Shop for Quality Fly Tying Materials

Two of my favorites (you can add the www. and the .com because hotlinks here are, I believe, a no-no): stoneriveroutfitters and redshedflyshop

Gary
fredaevans and coug like this.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things I like about the Red Shed shop is that when everyone went hackle crazy for hair extensions, the Red Shed put right on their site that they were not selling to hair people. I believe the exact words were "if you can't talk the talk don't even try". That puts him up in my book.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:12 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

There are blogs all over the internet and some of them have lists down the left hand side with a list of reputable fly tying materials stores!!

Addicted To Vise
Old 04-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Two of my favorites (you can add the www. and the .com because hotlinks here are, I believe, a no-no): stoneriveroutfitters and redshedflyshop

Gary
Gary: Links are fine, especially when you are replying to a request for information. What we frown on is self-promoting links, where it looks like the only reason someone comes on the site is to promote their business.

Larry
gt05254 and leithel like this.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:22 PM

boomslang is on a distinguished road

Good info. I am familiar with poppy and Red Shed. Cool. Would like more suggestions. Also, are there any ebay store you frequently use or would recommend as a good supplier.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:28 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Also take a look at J Stockard and Feathercraft.
flytire likes this.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:28 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

contents deleted
mcnerney, FlyBum and brucerducer like this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 05-07-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:22 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I forgot another very good one, particularly for feathers: Feathersmc.com: Home
That is John McClain's shop, and he another of the good guys.
Gary
Old 04-03-2013, 04:31 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I'd also ad Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters(chifly.com). I also like the Caddis Fly Shop.