The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 01:48 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Green Highlander 5/0

Hook is a Jock Scott Stout from Ronn Lucas. Pattern is essentially the Pryce-Tannatt version...
Head needs another couple coats of lacquer, but other than that, she's done!

Hope you fellas like it.

Enjoy

Eunan

Click the image to open in full size.

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 04-06-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:56 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Green Highlander 5/0

In my opinion, that is your best yet. A gorgeous classic pattern executed perfectly. For a second I thought Davie McPhail had tied it .
Old 04-06-2013, 02:42 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

"In my opinion, that is your best yet."

I'm with him.
Gary
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Eunan: That is awesome looking!
s fontinalis likes this.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:46 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Beautiful!!!
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:54 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Seriously good, guess you need to publish your own book now....
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:49 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

so eunan,
my wife had never seen a classic full dress salmon fly before today.
after seeing me scrolling through your atv gallery of salmon flies my wife
proclaimed "those are the most beautiful flies i have ever seen!"
you are a master my friend

casey
s fontinalis likes this.

ARFE
Old 04-07-2013, 06:59 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Green highlander is one of my favorite classics

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-07-2013, 07:09 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

Many thanks folks. Glad you continue to like the flies.
I'll keep posting them.

Eunan

Addicted To Vise
Old 04-08-2013, 08:28 AM

Here's a bit more on this fly!
I had the hook picked out long while ago, but was never really good a floss bodies so i'd been putting off tying this GH version for a good few months.
I started it last sunday afternoon, and bit by bit over the week completed it.
I've got about 6-7 hours into this fly.

There has been two different underwings, and three different wings on it, which certainly accounts for a lot of the time. If it had looked right with the first wing (see below) i'd have gone with that one, but to me it was too high, a consequence of selecting tippets which were too big and trying to make them fit the hook.

The second set of tippets are what you see in the finished fly.
The second wing didnt compress properly, but was a nice height.
Thus, i decided to go with a third wing construction as you see in the finished fly. The reason it didnt compress correctly, was due to the softer goose fibers being below the stiffer florican and Golden pheasant tail fibers - in my experience, when wings are constructed with softer materials on the bottom, they tend to bow and fold, rather than compress vertically.

By constructing the wing as i've done on the finished fly, the softer fibers are interspersed with stiffer fibers, and you get a nice compression. It should be said, that the final wing construction is a very modern look. Older flies would have had blocks of color (at least in my limited experience of seeing them). If i'd wanted to keep the original wing, it would have been best to use dyed turkey, but i only had yellow, and didnt want to dye my own.

As for fishing or the wall - this one is for the wall.

heres a head on view, just for fun!

Addicted To Vise