The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 06:31 PM

jokeandcolor is on a distinguished road
Default Strategy/advice for materials.

Im getting back into tying after a few years hiatus and while I have a small stash of materials and tools etc. I am starting from scratch for the most part. What I want to know is how you guys go about aquiring materials . Do you map out what your gonna need for the season and bulk buy a couple times a year or do you buy what yiu need for a few patterns at a time. I know eventually my collection will flesh out and it will come down to restocking what I need.

This can be pricey hobby and Im just wondering how people strategise their spending.

Also if any one ties in the Albany, NY area and knows a good flytying shop let me know.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:09 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strategy/advice for materials.

I usually buy materials as I need them. I have a fly shop and a craft store minutes from my house.

I like having the materials on hand rather than making extra trips to the shop. For example, I will buy 100 packs of hooks and beads that I frequently use. I will also get a skein of chenille yarn from a craft store for bugger and San Juan Worm usage. Instead of small feather packs, I will purchase skins, necks, or saddles.

Dennis
Hardyreels and jaybo41 like this.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I like Dennis's approach to gathering materials.

Once you have a good inventory built up you could go with something I do. Whenever I go to town I visit one or more of the shops, very seldom do I leave without something. Sometimes I get home and when filing the mew feather - fur - silk or whatever away I find I already had a bunch. Well then I have enough and the next time I remember what I don't need.

Building up an inventory that will cover any one of 30 or more patterns and different types of flies will take years so targeting some frequently used patterns and buying based on them makes a good starting point. Each time you're ready to part with some legal tender just focus on another pattern or type fly.

Ard
Kerry Pitt and jaybo41 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-07-2013, 07:44 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Materials for specific patterns, I acquire as needed. I keep a general supply of various hooks.

I generally buy materials as I encounter them--I'm forever scrounging up stuff at dollar stores, garage sales, flea markets, craft shops, etc. It's "Oh, that would make good dubbing"--and snatch it up.
Hardyreels and noreaster like this.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:33 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I am with Hardyreels. Everytime I go to a fly shop I leave with something I didn't have. This of course only works if your long term memory is functioning properly. I recently relocated my tying room to another house and found six hares masks, numerous pkgs of dubbing and feathers that were mysteries to me.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:51 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone else has pretty much nailed my approach. I pick up materials as I need them and have pretty much done that since I started. I can rarely leave a fly shop without finding some material that I "need". Like Ard, I often get home and find that I've got something similar or exactly the same. It never seems to go to waste though.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:25 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokeandcolor View Post
This can be pricey hobby and Im just wondering how people strategise their spending.
My strategy is that I don't have one. I generally just shop until I drop, and worry about the bill later.

j/k.

I tend to buy like these guys do. But I also use eBay and other auctions to look for shops selling off their inventories, or estate sales.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:59 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

I always have my eyes open for fly tying material but I usually buy according to some specific flies I want to tie.

Last year, I wanted to tie some big pike flies so I bought some packages of rabbit strips. I also wanted to decorate my own walleye jigs so I bought some marabou.

These past dozen years, there were tons of new materials that came on the market and I really like to tie and use medium to very large streamers. These materials (flashabou, specialty hair, modern body materials etc) don't cost much but you sure need a good variety in order to tie a good selection of streamers.

I've got quite a bit of stuff but now I'm back to the beginning....meaning that I need dry fly hackles. I think that from now on, I will only use 1 colour of dry fly hackle.....dark dun. I don't see any use for any other colour. The cheaper saddle hackles will fill the need for other colours when it comes time to tie wooly buggers, feathered streamers etc.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:27 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokeandcolor View Post
Im getting back into tying after a few years hiatus and while I have a small stash of materials and tools etc. I am starting from scratch for the most part. What I want to know is how you guys go about aquiring materials . Do you map out what your gonna need for the season and bulk buy a couple times a year or do you buy what yiu need for a few patterns at a time. I know eventually my collection will flesh out and it will come down to restocking what I need.

This can be pricey hobby and Im just wondering how people strategise their spending.Also if any one ties in the Albany, NY area and knows a good flytying shop let me know.

Hey there JokeandColor.

(1) One strategy is to prepare a supply of Dubbing Materials, and that is where you can be very creative by using a blender to mix materials you acquire from creative sources.

(2) Feathers are going to be among the priciest of the materials you acquire.
If you intend to work on Dry Flies, you need to prepare for that.

(3) Fly Shops are not the only place where you can find materials.
Materials in all kinds of colors, and textures can be found.
For example, you can start checking out the Beauty Section of any Box Store or Pharmacy.

(4)The Wedding Section of a Hobby Lobby can provide some interesting discoveries.

(5) Thrift Stores can be a real treasure trove if you know what to look for.

One of the pleasures of tying is the creative acquisition of materials, and you can lower your initial costs by steering away from tying a pattern that requires the most expensive of components.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:25 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Every time I go to a fly shop I leave with something I didn't need.

i'm lucky enough to have nobody in my house that will scrutinize my discretionary spending!

after 30+ years of tying, i could probably stock a small fly shop with materials (theres more boxes in a closet)

Click the image to open in full size.
jaybo41 and noreaster like this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/