The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2008, 07:54 PM

Rudolf is on a distinguished road
Default What epoxy???

I am going to make some flies with epoxy heads and eyes stick to the head before the epoxy is applied. What is the best epoxy to use for this?? I know it will be a five minute epoxy, but what type/brand is the best.
Please, let me know.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:16 PM

Flityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What epoxy???

Hello Rudolf,
There are two that come to mind that work great and give you a lasting finnish and they would be Devcon or Z-Poxy you can buy them online and they run about $15- $17. Both are 5 minute epoxy and should work well for you.

Allen Landheer
Fly fishing is not for everyone..
-Fly fishing since 1971-
Old 01-26-2008, 10:01 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I seen a couple epoxys at my local hardware store and they were running 4 to 6 bux? wonder what brands they were? wouldn't any 5 minute epoxy work?

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:35 PM

Flityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura about

Hi GeorgeMcFly,

You are right any epoxy will work as long as it dries clear and remains that way. I just listed these because I have used them and they work great don't fade, yellow or crackle not to mention you can do hundreds of flies with one kit so you don't have to purchase it often.

Allen Landheer
Fly fishing is not for everyone..
-Fly fishing since 1971-
Old 01-26-2008, 11:23 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

oh ok didn't kno what colors they turned? thats why I asked. will have to check out if it says it dries clear. I will get some and try to tie some flys using it.. what flies call for it? I see some zonker patterns do. I fish freshwater for bass, gills,cats and steelhead. not trying to steal your thread I am new to this also.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:06 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I use devcon in the twin syringe unless something else is on sale don't make a bunch up they will yellow slightly after about 4 months, faster with more uv rays. Here are a few of my sand eel, and mullet patterns with devcon. A good way to use epoxxy is to use post it notes to mix on and a toothpick to mix it and apply with.
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 028.jpg (71.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 02-04-2008, 07:42 AM

Alex Guthrie is on a distinguished road

try initially sticking the eyes with 1) 5 second finger nail glue or 2) krazy glue( i use the one with the little brush applicator) do not apply the eye glue until the thread glue is completly dry(some glues will not work well together thus preventing the eyes to stick altogether)- be careful not to disturb the eyes to much (it's tempting to reposition them) - allow the eyes to completely set ( a few minutes) and then apply your 30 minute 2 part epoxy.

good luck!
Old 02-04-2008, 08:56 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

I mentioned uv glue in the other epoxy thread ---well i bought some and started fooling around with it over the weekend. Its made by Loon Outdoor and the one i bought was knot sense and I got the little battery powered uv light.

I tried glueing eyes on deceivers and building heads on clousers---I would squeeze out some glue (its really thick) move the glue with a piece of spagetti (break the end off so its new all the time) and shine the light on it.

A few seconds and its hard. I coated it with "Hard as Nails" to get the gloss and it looks good.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:19 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I like those "HARDMAN" 5 min epoxy pacs. They seem to last a season or 2 before yellowing. They are great if your only doing 2 or 3 flies at a time. They're also a good item to have a few of in your wader bag for any emergency repairs that come up on a trip. They've saved the day a few times for me.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:27 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

i use easy shape sparkle body in clear...no mixing or turning...no yellowing, or cracking
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..