The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 02:31 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default The "Skunk Hair Caddis"

The famous fly fisherman and author, Charlie Brooks, created a pattern called the Skunk Hair Caddis.

I did some searching (perhaps too hasty on YouTube) but could not find any demonstrations of this patter.

Even general Internet Searches was not entirely helpful.

I did find a recipe for the pattern though, as follows:

SKUNK HAIR CADDIS
Tail: none
Body: black or blackish brown skunk hair, with the black
portion being at least 4" long
Rib: copper wire
Hackle: black short and soft
Thread: black 2/0 nylon
Hook: #6 to 10, 2x long

-----------------------------

This is a very simple pattern entirely in black / (some brown).

I am just wondering if anyone has experience with tying something of a variation with substituted materials/dubbing, etc.

I did find Skunk Hair but it wasn't so easy. The closest shop had none.

The second shop was run by a nice fellow who searched in his basement storage and finally dug up 2 pkgs of Skunk Hair that was about 40% Black, 20% Brown, and 40% White, and I cannot really use the white but I could dye it.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:50 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Skunk Hair Caddis"

At one time I collected many kinds of road-kill for tying... including a skunk.
It didn't stink when I collected it, but skinning the dam thing was a different story
I still have the pelt but it wasn't worth the aggravation
Old 04-15-2013, 02:54 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

this might help

https://www.google.com/search?source...NK+HAIR+CADDIS

Click the image to open in full size.
brucerducer likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 04-15-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:16 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

The pattern is cased caddis imitation. Tying instructions are on pg. 164 of Charlie Brooks, Nymph Fishing for Larger Trout.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-15-2013, 07:14 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Flytire:

I got into page 30 of your google search link before I rested the researches.

It was very helpful. I found at least 2 more patterns of great interest and another recipe for the Skunk Hair Pattern.

It was a joy to tie the first one. It turns out, that for a Size 8 on a TMC 5263
That the Skunk Hair does not have to be 4" long. I got by with less and it wrapped neatly to right up behind the head point.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:44 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I have a feeling that the skunk hair caddis imitates a Petronarcys stonefly nymph, on a 3X long size 8 hook. I suspected that when I originally read Nymph Fishing for Larger Trout. I've never seen any caddis close to that size on the Madison River.

It would outstanding to catch a fish with one on the Madison River as a toast to Charlie Brooks.
brucerducer likes this.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-16-2013, 03:33 AM

"I have a feeling that the skunk hair caddis imitates a Petronarcys stonefly nymph, on a 3X long size 8 hook. I suspected that when I originally read Nymph Fishing for Larger Trout. I've never seen any caddis close to that size on the Madison River.

It would outstanding to catch a fish with one on the Madison River as a toast to Charlie Brooks."-----SilverCreek

Ha ha. SiverCreek, indeed; that is exactly what I have been thinking, since I started reading "Nymph Fishing for Larger Trout" of which Charlie Brooks is the author as you noted yesterday.

Ever since learning about Charlie Brooks in my reading of the Dave Hughes books, I have been impressed by the way that Charlie Brooks used patterns that transitioned from simply Caddis imitations, into Stonefly imitations.

General researches into the thinking of Charlie Brooks has lead me to some very interesting patterns. I've even bought about 5 patterns in the fly shops just to work from the various Stonefly examples in my own tying. I bought a few more just to fish with.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:17 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
At one time I collected many kinds of road-kill for tying... including a skunk.
It didn't stink when I collected it, but skinning the dam thing was a different story
I still have the pelt but it wasn't worth the aggravation
Riptide's dedication to flytying is now unquestioned!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:42 AM

Update:

I wanted to figure an alternative material to the expensive Skunk Hair for this patter.

#1 I made up a Dubbing from Dark Brown Felt Roving, mixed with Black
"Gilt Eyelash". These look just fine and very very close to the original.

Equally good is...

#2 Gary LaFontaine's Private Lavel Antron Sparkle Yarn in Brown

Once the copper wire is wrapped on either material, it looks just like the other fly.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:18 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men View Post
Riptide's dedication to flytying is now unquestioned!
Actually it's more like my life-long dedication to being a tightwad.