The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By flytire
  • 1 Post By flytire
  • 1 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 07:56 AM

gary w is on a distinguished road
Default polish rooster feathers

Can I use polish feathers for tying flies? I have a friend that is going to kill her rooster and knows I tie flies and she is willing to give it to me, but before I take it I'd like to know if it will work.

Shippenville, Pa
Old 04-19-2013, 09:09 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: polish rooster feathers

I have no idea of the difference between a polish rooster or any other nationality rooster but go ahead and use the feathers. Be creative and experiment
mcnerney likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 04-19-2013, 09:15 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Should have some decent schalpen on it. It is polish though, so the feathers might be made out of hair instead of normal bird feathers :P

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-19-2013, 11:08 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

polish rooster - Google Search

Looks like they will tie some nice flies

Not sure where the hair might be
Guest1 likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 04-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
I have no idea of the difference between a polish rooster or any other nationality rooster
Well I immediately had 5 or 6 non-pc jokes in mind. Feathers are feathers. They might not be as small or maybe a bit webbier than some genetic Whiting or Umpqua tying specific bred roosters, but it is still a rooster. Take it and use what you can.

Edit; I just looked at flytire's link and I'd be all over that like ugly on an ape. In fact if you can get eggs from her, I'd start raising the things.

This one in particular;
Click the image to open in full size.
Just like this photo.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:14 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

My father raises chickens and gets a batch of hens every year. The hatchery throws in a random rooster chick. 3 years ago he got a Dominique rooster that I have my eyes on. But he's been stubbornly healthy.

The rooster, that is.

This year's bonus is a polish.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:17 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like there is too much static electricity in that hen house! Either that or it is the next wave of feather extensions for roosters.
diamond rush likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-19-2013, 07:35 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I used mine all the time, the head area is preatty good for dry flies and the rest of bird is great fro wets and nymphs. necks are a grade 2 on most.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 04-19-2013, 08:44 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Fancy rooster headwear.

Fancy human headwear

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-19-2013, 08:45 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Free feathers of potential form a rooster that may have been to a couple too many punk rock shows?

If you don't want to keep them I'll send you my address and cover the shipping.

I would politely offer to skin the bird (and have my fleshing knife, the stretching hoop and borax ready).