The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 11:08 AM

bigfishcatcher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Whip finisher destroying my thread.

I've gotten glue on my whip finisher. If you hold it over steam with a pear of pliers or forceps for a few minutes, your whip finisher will be as good as new. The problem you are probably having Awkwardsporstman is that the thread is too tight in the first place. Whip finishing won't work very well however you do it if the thread is too tight. This also weakens the thread. I would reccomend just making sure that your bobbin can just hang free and untwist itself or straighten it out with your fingernails. If you do this, you should be able to manage 5-6 whp finishes.
wannafish likes this.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hey Planet Trout,

That looks like a Thompson tool, they were perhaps the best. Is that what that is?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-20-2013, 02:36 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hey Planet Trout,

That looks like a Thompson tool, they were perhaps the best. Is that what that is?
Indeed it is...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 04-20-2013, 03:10 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I've been using a Matarelli, not a matarelli type, whip finisher for a long, long time and very rarely have a problem as you've had.
I did have one of my real Materelli whip finishers go home with a student and a copy was swapped. I found that out right away when I used it for the first time. The copy did not spin as freely and the sticky points in the copy caused the thread to pop.
Too many wraps with grippy thread will cause problems no matter what you use. Weak threads will give problems too.
My days using Uni though are over. There are threads out now that are better in every way, as near as I can tell through bench top testing and use anyhow.

I refuse to own a matarelli-type whip finisher because even though the real deal cost more that the matarelli-type whip finishers, I find it hard not to appreciate and pay respects for genius in thought and design of products like that and will pay extra just to keep thinkers thinking.
Anyone can clone and copy the brilliant design of something that sells well and takes very little risk bringing those cheap copies to market since the hard work has already been done.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:46 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

If you're referring to the UTC type 70 thread, then yes - I had similar issues with my old "bent wire" whip finisher. I think that thin wire/hook style has more of a tendency to catch and nick the thread, and that's all it takes. I love that thread, but one fray while whip finishing and it's game over. I upgraded to the Metz rotating type finisher with heavier wire and the problem disappeared.

Also, when buying your thread spools, take a close look to make sure they haven't been boogered up on the shelf by people running their fingernails across it. Be careful that you don't scrap the face of the spool with your bobbin when putting it in either. That will also fray the threads.

One last thing to watch for is the thread catching on the open portion of the hook eye. That area will catch and separate UTC 70 thread too.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-20-2013, 05:47 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I here you, Jackster. All mine are genuine Matarelli's. I have several of the regular and long reach versions, just in case one walks away.

The patent on them expired.

For the curious, here's the original patent:

Patent US3866959 - WHIP FINISHING TOOL - Google Patents

Here is modified version with a new patent for adding a useless loop spring, #23 on the illustration:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=w.../US6834894.pdf

And a story:

Whip Finishing: “Whip Me!” | MidCurrent

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-20-2013, 07:19 PM

quimby is on a distinguished road

TIL that I actually have a Matarelli style whip finisher.

I thought that for it to be a Matarelli it needed to have that special cutter at the bottom.

I also thought about hammering the bottom of my whip finish to turn it into a cutter, but I thought it would compromise the rotating function.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:13 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by quimby View Post
I thought that for it to be a Matarelli it needed to have that special cutter at the bottom.

I also thought about hammering the bottom of my whip finish to turn it into a cutter, but I thought it would compromise the rotating function.
Not sure what you mean by a "cutter." A Matarelli does not have anything that cuts thread.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-20-2013, 10:20 PM

bigfishcatcher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Not sure what you mean by a "cutter." A Matarelli does not have anything that cuts thread.
Some people sharpen the metal spot at the bottom of their matarellis to cut thread when the fly is complete.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:16 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
You can find true Matarelli whip finishers with a thread cutter on the end. You have to dig for them or look in a certain blue ribbon fly shop in W. Yellowstone for them.

Click the image to open in full size.