The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 11:27 AM

quimby is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Whip finisher destroying my thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Not sure what you mean by a "cutter." A Matarelli does not have anything that cuts thread.
Matarelli Cutter and Whip Finisher

This is the one I was talking about. Also if you watch any tying videos from Craig Matthews you will see what I'm talking about.
Jackster likes this.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:43 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

I just tie a not with my fingers. I gave up using a whip finisher.

Of course, there are spurs sometimes. Skin is weird too, when it gets dry, but I get by somehow.

Some guys use the tip of a pair of sutures or pliers to tie their knot.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a whip finisher that looks exactly like the 'cutter' one shown. For the life of me I can't see where the cutter is on that.

brucerducer, you can whip finish by hand. I do it in flies like poppers where you have a hard time with the tool, but the tools can't be beat for the head. Try just getting a hook, a razor blade, some junk thread and practice till you eliminate whatever it is that is causing the breakage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quimby View Post

This is the one I was talking about. Also if you watch any tying videos from Craig Matthews you will see what I'm talking about.
OK, I watched the video and see where it is. I can take my Dremel and make mine do the same thing. Thanks
brucerducer likes this.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:26 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

This is the bottom of a standard Mattarelli whip finisher.
Click the image to open in full size.

This a whip finisher that he customized. The wood is just a part of a special set supposedly made by Mattarelli
Click the image to open in full size.

Blue Ribbon does indeed carry authentic Mattarelli whip finishers with the handy end cutter built in.

Dan, why didn't I think of that?
I took files to one of my finishers but just wasn't happy with the outcome.
Dremel. DOH!
Guest1 likes this.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:39 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by quimby View Post

Thanks for pointing that out, I never knew that existed.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-21-2013, 03:37 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I sometimes have problems with thread breaking while using a whip tool but it has never been the tool's fault. Usually it is because I am using old thread that has weakened or because I have tied the head wraps so tightly that the thread cannot slide under them easily to finish the whip knot.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Dan, why didn't I think of that?
I took files to one of my finishers but just wasn't happy with the outcome.
Dremel. DOH!
I just happen to one of those "More Power" kind of guys.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:33 PM

audax will become famous soon enoughaudax will become famous soon enough

awkwardsportsman,

You may have excess twist built up in the thread. Not uncommon if you are a right-handed tyer and don't periodically remove some of the twist while tying. A counter-clockwise spin of the bobbin holder will remove it.