The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   Whip finisher destroying my thread. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/317115-whip-finisher-destroying-my-thread.html)

awkwardsportsman 04-20-2013 02:44 AM

Whip finisher destroying my thread.

I have been having an issue when tying with 70 denier thread with my whip finisher fraying the thread out to the point that it breaks before I can get the know tightened up. I don't seem to have much of an issue with my 140 threads. I can't see any burs or any particular reason why it would be doing this. Does anyone else have ideas, or the same issue? There is nothing more frustrating than tying a nice fly to be proud of, and then having the last step screw it up.

Honestly at this point I would be willing to spend $20 on a tool that doesn't do this. I would like to find a ceramic coated one, but can't seem to find one. The one I am using now is the Terra standard brass whip finisher.

Hardyreels 04-20-2013 03:08 AM

Re: Whip finisher destroying my thread.

Hi,

I've never had such a problem, how many twists do you put on your whip knots? I tie everything with Uni or Orvis 6/0 and 8/0 thread, is yours thinner than that?

My only advice would be to finish by hand. It is not as difficult as you may think, however I do prefer a tool for most tying.

dabluz 04-20-2013 03:48 AM

I use the cheapest and simplest whip finisher on the market. Made by Sunrise and sells for under 5 dollars. Been using them for close to 40 years. I'm on my second one now. Never had a problem.

I've never had a problem with my cheap bobbins either.

nicknick222 04-20-2013 03:57 AM

The only time I have issues breaking thread on a whip finish is when I wrap it more than 3 or 4 times before tightening. I usually only go 3 or less, normally 2 and do a couple if I want it to be extra secure.

flytire 04-20-2013 04:39 AM

3-4 half hitches, head cement and i'm off fishing. knots dont come undone.

never could get used to a whip finish tool or even by hand

tyers preference

wannafish 04-20-2013 06:17 AM

Yep; new tyer here and have had the same problem with small threads trying to do the 5 turns; try 3 or 4 as suggested. :thumbsupu

ted4887 04-20-2013 08:54 AM

Sounds like these guys have you set. Do 2-3 turns and add some SHHAN.

planettrout 04-20-2013 09:38 AM

I have been using this ancient artifact since 1974 and have never had a problem with the tool fraying or breaking the thread ( down to Tiemco 16/0 )...

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps23494e7b.jpg

...however, operator error on a number of occasions, has caused thread breakage...

PT/TB :p

silver creek 04-20-2013 10:31 AM

70 denier polyester thread breaks at 13 -15 oz tension. I think your whip finisher may be scored. You can also change to a bonded thread that is less likely to fray like Uni 8/0 that is a bonded 72 denier polyester threat that breaks at 15 oz.

I would toss the cheap whip finisher and:

1. Get a Matarelli style whip finisher.

4. I use 5 turns. If you use 2/3 turns, place them back to back.

Guest1 04-20-2013 10:42 AM

I like the materelli style myself. I used the older style for many many years and did not have any problems, but the materelli style is just easier and I think less likely to bust thread. I generally do 4 or 5 wraps, but do it twice unless it's a tiny tiny fly. In that case I only do 3 or so and still do it twice.

Step 2 and 3 are classified. :D