The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 02:44 AM

awkwardsportsman is on a distinguished road
Default Whip finisher destroying my thread.

I have been having an issue when tying with 70 denier thread with my whip finisher fraying the thread out to the point that it breaks before I can get the know tightened up. I don't seem to have much of an issue with my 140 threads. I can't see any burs or any particular reason why it would be doing this. Does anyone else have ideas, or the same issue? There is nothing more frustrating than tying a nice fly to be proud of, and then having the last step screw it up.

Honestly at this point I would be willing to spend $20 on a tool that doesn't do this. I would like to find a ceramic coated one, but can't seem to find one. The one I am using now is the Terra standard brass whip finisher.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:08 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Whip finisher destroying my thread.

Hi,

I've never had such a problem, how many twists do you put on your whip knots? I tie everything with Uni or Orvis 6/0 and 8/0 thread, is yours thinner than that?

My only advice would be to finish by hand. It is not as difficult as you may think, however I do prefer a tool for most tying.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-20-2013, 03:48 AM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

I use the cheapest and simplest whip finisher on the market. Made by Sunrise and sells for under 5 dollars. Been using them for close to 40 years. I'm on my second one now. Never had a problem.

I've never had a problem with my cheap bobbins either.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:57 AM

nicknick222 has a spectacular aura aboutnicknick222 has a spectacular aura about

The only time I have issues breaking thread on a whip finish is when I wrap it more than 3 or 4 times before tightening. I usually only go 3 or less, normally 2 and do a couple if I want it to be extra secure.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:39 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

3-4 half hitches, head cement and i'm off fishing. knots dont come undone.

never could get used to a whip finish tool or even by hand

tyers preference

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 04-20-2013, 06:17 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Yep; new tyer here and have had the same problem with small threads trying to do the 5 turns; try 3 or 4 as suggested.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:54 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like these guys have you set. Do 2-3 turns and add some SHHAN.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:38 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I have been using this ancient artifact since 1974 and have never had a problem with the tool fraying or breaking the thread ( down to Tiemco 16/0 )...

Click the image to open in full size.

...however, operator error on a number of occasions, has caused thread breakage...

PT/TB
Hardyreels likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 04-20-2013, 10:31 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

70 denier polyester thread breaks at 13 -15 oz tension. I think your whip finisher may be scored. You can also change to a bonded thread that is less likely to fray like Uni 8/0 that is a bonded 72 denier polyester threat that breaks at 15 oz.

I would toss the cheap whip finisher and:

1. Get a Matarelli style whip finisher.

4. I use 5 turns. If you use 2/3 turns, place them back to back.
Guest1 likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I like the materelli style myself. I used the older style for many many years and did not have any problems, but the materelli style is just easier and I think less likely to bust thread. I generally do 4 or 5 wraps, but do it twice unless it's a tiny tiny fly. In that case I only do 3 or so and still do it twice.

Step 2 and 3 are classified.