The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By s fontinalis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 09:37 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Cassard MOM lake fly 2/0 (photo heavy with tying process)

Tied this one last night for a competition, but i'm not happy with it, so i'm gonna have to retie it.

Lets see if anyone can figure out why its ****?? if you do, i'll send you the fly. There are at least two obvious reasons why its substandard

For anyone who hasnt tied whole woodduck wings, dont try it on a hook this big. The stems are flat, and when tying them on tend to twist so they lie flat on the top of the shank - it took some choice language and a bit of ingenuity to get them finally to sit like i wanted them.

Anways, a lesson in patience and mastery of the wings, if nothing else.

Thanks for looking

Eunan
Heres some photos of the process, as well as the finished article at the end.

Tag tied in on underside
Click the image to open in full size.

Tag wrapped and thread (70 denier) underbody started - i go up and down several times with the thread through the process of tying the fly (same on salmon flies. After each layer is put down, i burnish the thread wraps to make them smooth

Crest tied in - you dont see it so well on the final fly as there is more yellow to come from goose slips on top of the crest

Married, yellow, red and green goose and woodie for the second tail

butts tied down to a taper at the head of the fly

Black chenille butt, rib and hackle tied in on the underside of the hook

To even out the underbody, and make it smooth for the floss, i did a couple layers of uni-stretch and burnished them

Floss body wrapped, by hand, no bobbins here.

Hackle, rib wrapped, and wing finally tied in. Took about 6 efforts to get this done

Forgot to take pictuers of the married goose shoulders and topping going on, as well as the hackle and herl head, so this is the finished fly, in all its flawed glory

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 04-20-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cassard MOM lake fly 2/0 (photo heavy with tying process)

Another beauty Eunan
Old 04-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice,

That reminds me of The Denizen, very similar.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-20-2013, 10:38 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

You must be targeting some pretty cunning fish if that fly is unacceptable.

Why would I want an unacceptable fly? Would hate to have to explain to all my friends that it wasn't my fault.