The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: I'm so tired of winter

Although I fully appreciate how you fellows are roughing this spring out and wishing for a break in the weather I still think you've got it made.

For 2 days now we have had warm weather, sunny and high of 47 yesterday and today looks good also. Even with this swing it will be weeks before the ice goes out. I will make a trip this week to an ice free zone but it will involve travel. Our weather could keep warming, it could snow 2 feet tomorrow, or it could just decide to rain.

Rain is the worst case, it will ensure flooding and a poor start to the season. The flood waters of last September and Octobers record setting rains are still locked in the ground and the ice of the rivers. It got so cold so quickly that the flooded rivers froze as they were.

After we had that deep freeze of -38* that started before Halloween and lasted through December, our winter was plagued by a warm trend through January that brought with it ...............yep, rain, and lots of it, which then froze into more ice and on and on........... So you should just be glad that there are still not several feet of ice on your rivers. I am eager to have a shot at some fishing. We are assembling rafts and inflating the pontoons today. The boat is out from its storage spot and ready for a spring oil change and test running also. It's just the darn Ice!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-21-2013, 06:33 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Tired of winter to be sure! But I guess I have to be glad we don't have your scenario Ard. We keep getting rain/freezing rain/snow every couple days it seems. To top it off, a farmer outside of town had a wall collapse in his manure pit, putting close to a million gallons of manure down into a small creek that flows into my home water and eventually will make it to the south branch of the Root River. DNR does say so far it seems to be not causing problems.....yet. So other than the usual flooding this time of year, all I can do is sit and wait a little longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2013, 07:38 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Still not looking like spring here. I'm afraid to put away my snow blower.
Same here. It's still below freezing about 98% of the day on the warm ones. I still have snow covering everything and lows in the teens and highs in the 30's for the week. There is no possible way we are going to have the ice off the lake for fishing opener and the river is going to be colder than ....... something really cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnflyfish View Post
We keep getting rain/freezing rain/snow every couple days it seems.
You guys are a lot warmer than we are. You must be down in Minnesota's Banana belt.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:52 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

We just got about an inch of accumulation in my years this evening. The tulip heads were just ready pop.

But the cold rain in front of the snow didn't stop the March Browns from coming off heavily this afternoon. So it could be worse.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:56 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

looks like a late spring for most of us
i'll take this over a heatwave/drought any day!

casey

ARFE
Old 04-23-2013, 08:42 PM

learning2fly will become famous soon enoughlearning2fly will become famous soon enough

That mans legs have got to be blue by then! I've stepped into ice in a river and was in a lot of pain. Anyway, I'm ready for some nice days as well. May be heading out tomorrow to the Madison. I hear there's a chance for some northern light activity so may check that out after
Old 04-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

If the weather guys are not lying again, we will have our first low that is above freezing on Saturday at a balmy 37 F! They have consistantly guessed to warm so I am not holding my breath, but it is the first one even those lying rats have thought was going to be that warm.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:40 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I've taken a leap of faith and put the snow blower away and swapped it for my riding lawn mower. It's a sure sign it will snow again!
Guest1 likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-24-2013, 12:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
It's a sure sign it will snow again!
Bite your tongue! Speak not of such foul things.