The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 02:26 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What color is OLIVE exactly?

Well BigJim, get a load of this. Ain't this Scientifical and all?

Chartreuse (color) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Old 04-23-2013, 02:51 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post
Well BigJim, get a load of this. Ain't this Scientifical and all?
Chartreuse (color) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Not to be confused with electric lime
(which is the REAL chartreuse in my book)
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:37 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Years ago Gary published and sold the BCS (Borger Color System). He discovered that the fly color does not have to be spot on to fool fish; and that by having a color chart that is "close enough", an angler and fly tier could functionally cover the colors of the hatches.

Gudebrod sold their tying thread in BCS colors.

Here is my BCS system. In addition to colors, the data pages allow you to enter insect stage, measurements and colors for just about every part of an insect.

There are regional differences in the color of identical insect hatches, and the color of the insect can change as the hatch progresses from week to week. So precise color matches vary by location and the date of the hatch.

The BCS is no longer sold, but a curious angler can use regular paint chips to do the same task.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-23-2013, 08:24 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Bruce, I've read that before. Thanks for the link!

Rip, the more I look at that, the more it changes color!

You guys also have to consider that since we're viewing these colors via a computer monitor or other electronic device, the color shade may look a bit different to each of us. That's another problem with attempting to show colors of flies & trying to get exact shades. Even photo's don't show exact shades.

I like all the shades of "chartreuse" for tying but tend to favor a slightly greener shade of what Rip posted. I like the fluorescent chartreuse color shades the most for flies or lures.

Quote:
He discovered that the fly color does not have to be spot on to fool fish; and that by having a color chart that is "close enough", an angler and fly tier could functionally cover the colors of the hatches.
It appears to me that most of us agree with this idea. However it's not confined to flies & Borger's system was not the only one to do this. Roland Martin promoted the Color C-Lector system for lures many years ago. The premise was similar to the Borger system that a lure color could be selected that was "close enough" for the conditions. The difference is that it's based on water clarity & other conditions rather than the prey color as would be the case with insect hatches.

Spike-It, a company that makes dyes for plastic baits & plastic baits, markets a Color C-Lector system now that uses the colors that they produce in their dye & plastics line.
brucerducer likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:29 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

olive is any mixture of brown tones and green tones.
lighten or darken with black or white, results are endless

casey

ARFE
Old 05-01-2013, 05:48 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Olive, (like dun) is one of those things you go after with #12 trap shot and a 22" improved cylinder barrel, because there is no hitting it with a scoped riffle.

For me, "Olive" is all the murk between green mixed with tan, yellow and brown.
"Dun" is all the murk between grey, mixed with blue, brown and tan.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:16 PM

wichaka is on a distinguished road

Looking over photos of the real fly, it shows shades of not only olive (green), but shows the fly in shades of brown and dull yellow.

Hard to call it a BWO, with the color variations. Guess that's why PMD and some mahogany are needed as well.

I have Hughes "Essential Flies" book, and the blue wing olive in the dry fly section looks like a PMD. Could be a typo though...