The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 11:27 AM

fly505 will become famous soon enough
Default Any alternatives for Arctic Fox Fur?

Hi there! Just curious if anyone has tied up the Home Invader using anything other than arctic fox fur? I've tied a few using craft fur which was a messy pain in the butt...I picked up a patch of fox fur, kinda pricey and hard to find around here. Anyone suggest an alternative? I'm tempted to use cross cut rabbit but seems like it isn't stiff enough to hold a good shape when wet. Thanks and look forward to any replies.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:21 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Any alternatives for Arctic Fox Fur?

I've never tied a Home Invader, but try Icelandic sheep, Finnish raccoon, or cashmere goat.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm headed to Anchorage today, if you want I can pick up a patch of it and mail to you ....... or you can check the 'Mountain View Sports' web site and order from them. I don't know right off hand the price but it won't break the bank, maybe $5 or so.

This is made with what they stock, is it what you want?
Ard's Bush Doctor;
Click the image to open in full size.

Wing is Arctic Fox

I'm going to leave soon; hope you check the thread for replies.......

Ard
Jackster likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-30-2013, 01:36 PM

Hardyreels...thanks for the kind offer! I'm kinda lookin for something more fur like that compresses well when wet. That's a gorgeous fly by the way. Local shops have most of what I need... Just don't carry alot of fox fur I'm looking for. Mouche...those sound like great alternatives...I think I've seen the sheep at my shops. I'll give em a try. I'll also take a look at other various online vendors. Appreciate all the suggestions
Old 04-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

OK,

Perhaps the fur you want is the under fur, the fly I posted is the long gaurd hairs and tips. For under fur grey fox or raccoon may work also.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-30-2013, 08:26 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't tied that pattern but a quick google search gives me some ideas. I'd agree with Ard, you might want to consider Raccoon as a substitute for Artic Fox. A little goes a long way with Arctic Fox tail. My source has a generous clump for $8.50 that in my experience is quite lasting. PM me if you're interested and I can get you a link to the shop. The small patch that's about 1x1 isn't what you're looking for. It's neither stiff enough or long enough. I believe it's from the body anyway.

For whatever its worth to you, here's a link to an article by the originator of the Home Invader:

The Home Invader - Fly Fisherman

Last edited by jaybo41; 04-30-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:38 PM

Awesome thanks! I'll look at some raccoon and give it a try! I appreciate the responses and will take a look at the article as well...Doug Mcknight does create some nice streamers