The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 06:00 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: Any headache saving tips for a new tyer? (besides don't start the addiction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I just love to see these type of posts!

You have the proper attitude and are quite correct about this whole thing being a life long education. I've been at this for a while and although I never really 'mastered' tying flies, I've found the intrinsic value of a fly by creating them. There are other things that can deliver an equal feeling of accomplishment; wood working and many other crafts come to mind. However, fly tying connects at a much more intimate lever to another life long pursuit than some others perhaps and that is sitting along a beautiful trout stream with a totally blank mind. No worries, no stress, just you and the sights and sounds.

I'll be watching for your postings of the flies.

Ard
Love your post too Ard.
Makes one think they've found their home on the internet.

To Finisher, I would second the proportioning tip. Fly tying is all about the geometry of life, in some cases exaggerating it. The cigar shape, the elongated cone, evenly segmented bodies, hackle length, and wise use of the hook space are all things I try to keep in mind. As mentioned already, use as few wraps of the thread as possible.
Pay attention to the details from the start and it will pay dividends in the long run.

Oh one more tip: I like to draw out my dubbin to longer skinnier lengths. Build up the body slowly with more wraps. It will hold the dubbin more securely as well as give the opportunity to get the body shape right.

Have fun
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:23 AM

finisher will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Any headache saving tips for a new tyer? (besides don't start the addiction)

Thanks for the kind words, Ard. Much appreciated.

I dove in head first tonight and tried to tie an Adams on a size 14 hook. Well, it looks more like a Frankenadams/Hackle monster. It took way too long, but each step was a first step. I may have bit off a bit more than I can chew, but I wanted to try something that I will probably use right away, at least that was the idea. This thing says "struggle" all over it. The hackle needed to be thinner, the wings are set back towards the tail too much, the tail was mismeasured and therefore chopped giving it a boxy look, but I did a decent whip finish. This was a youtube project. Even the pic sucks. Oh well, baby steps... Please, bring on the slaughter!Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by finisher; 05-15-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:13 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by finisher View Post
Click the image to open in full size.
That's actually pretty good compared to my first dies. You are all set. You have what you need. You can look at you own work, see and identify the other-than-perfect-parts and be happy with the accomplishment. All you have to do now is tie a few hundred more.

Don't fish that fly. Put it a box and hold on to it. Add flies to that box as you skill level increases. It's a good way of identifying where you are prone to making mistakes. Is also a very good way the watch how you progress.

One thing I find really helpful is to have a fly that on my bench that I am tying. That way I can pick it up and look at it and use it for comparison. I have a couple of boxes of examples of flies on my bench. I also keep a 3-ring binder, 1 pattern per page with detailed notes per pattern where they are/were needed.

Being gutsy enough to try a #14 dry with hackle tip wings the first time around and getting a fly off the vice - you are all set.

That fly is one hash mark in the win column for you!
Old 05-15-2013, 09:17 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Finisher.
Even though I have a Fishing Library which I hardly ever use as I enjoy watching Davie Mc Phail David Crowthorn and others there's one Book I would recommend.
It's The Fly Tyer's Benchside Reference which is full of stuff about Tying Methods etc etc.,
Brian.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:32 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Any headache saving tips for a new tyer? (besides don't start the addiction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finisher View Post
Thanks for the kind words, Ard. Much appreciated.

I dove in head first tonight and tried to tie an Adams on a size 14 hook. Well, it looks more like a Frankenadams/Hackle monster. It took way too long, but each step was a first step. I may have bit off a bit more than I can chew, but I wanted to try something that I will probably use right away, at least that was the idea. This thing says "struggle" all over it. The hackle needed to be thinner, the wings are set back towards the tail too much, the tail was mismeasured and therefore chopped giving it a boxy look, but I did a decent whip finish. This was a youtube project. Even the pic sucks. Oh well, baby steps... Please, bring on the slaughter!Click the image to open in full size.
I'd say for your first fly, you did an excellent job! Dries, especially not a Catskill style fly is not what I considered an easy fly to start with. I did buggers and nymphs back then. When I first delved into dries, I went the comparadun route on mayflies and then on to parachute style. I'm still not where I want to be with Catskill style for that matter.

Keep your first fly as a reference point for your learning and by all means keep posting with us. You should sit down and tie up another dozen of them, that will really help you learn the techniques needed for that pattern.

Keep up the good work.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:58 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

When you tie in your tail material, use a loose loop of thread, then pull the material towards the head to adjust the length before wrapping it in tight.

The body looks fine and you did a good job of leaving sufficient head space.

As for measuring your hackle (which is WAY too long) just take a wrap around the shank near the hook gap before tying in the hackle- it should be no more than 1/2 longer than the gap. If it's too long, select another and try again. Depending on where you're fishing ( the type of water, that is), sometimes it's necessary to "over hackle" a fly... so taking an extra wrap or two is no biggie. Oh and your hackle tip wings are the exact right length.

Seems as if you're on the right track!!
Old 05-18-2013, 12:11 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

The biggest piece of advice I could give you is this: Stay organized from the get go. Right now on my desk I have **** scattered everywhere. If you were to see my desk you would think I was tying some kind of weird caddis pupa/stonefly/BWO emerger dun dry fly!

Randy
Old 05-18-2013, 10:03 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout champ View Post
The biggest piece of advice I could give you is this: Stay organized from the get go. Right now on my desk I have **** scattered everywhere. If you were to see my desk you would think I was tying some kind of weird caddis pupa/stonefly/BWO emerger dun dry fly!

Randy
2X on this. There have been times I have spent over an hour putting stuff away to find the one thing I needed which was buried under the mess.

Working around a mess actually makes it slower because you keep loosing things.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:56 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

I try to keep my tying sessions to 2 or 3 different patterns... maybe different sizes and or colors of the same patterns, but that's it. I get out the specific materials I'll be using and have them and nothing else on the table.

pheasant tail, wire, dubbing for PT Nymphs...
brown, grizzly and maybe olive saddle, spade hackles, hen neck, dubbing for Adams...

when you're done, put it all away. try to avoid saving "scraps", but IF YOU MUST... have something like a cigar box or similar that you put them all in. And go through it periodically and if you haven't used it, you likely won't... so toss it.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:48 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

stimmy is onto something there. Not only do I get out materials for a couple of different ties, I will prepare materials in advance before I tie them. Some examples might be cutting wire or flash into the right sizes, beading hooks, cutting thin skin etc. I usually tie a minimum of 6 at a time but more often than not, I'm tying a dozen or two at a time.