Any headache saving tips for a new tyer? (besides don't start the addiction)

finisher

Reaction score
Looking to start tying my own. Planning to get a Peak rotary vise, tools and tying supplies in the next couple of days. What would you suggest as essential tools and materials for a beginner? I already have the Dave Hughes American Fy Tying Manual. Any brands to go with or stay away from? I prefer to buy once, cry once. I appreciate any input. Thanks.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Take a class.................. Otherwise it sounds like you're going the right direction. I am self taught however it took nearly 50 years. Most people don't have that kind of patience :D

Ard

JoJer

Reaction score
Hi Finisher,
First bit of advice: mine this forum with the search button. 'Cause there is a double handful of threads on this very topic.
If you're set on the Peak vise, great, but your in-depth search will bring you to the Ohio fly fishers vise shoot-out and that's a good place to start.
Also, you're eventually going to buy a how-to book. It doesn't matter which one, but if it's an entry level book, it'll cover what to buy and why or it'll cover techniques for the materials and tools as it shows why and how. That's not a bad way to start.
If you have a local fly shop, pop in and watch them tie and ask questions. Check local listings for a class.
Once you start, you'll have lots more questions. This is a good place to bring those questions.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Welcome to the sickness. A few random thoughts, I'm sure there are some things I've left out that others will mention.

From one Peak owner to another, I think you'll be very happy with it. Mine has treated me very well for nearly 5 years. Learn to use the rotary feature for flies that require tight wraps. Think Copper Johns. It's still good to learn to tie without the rotary though, there are circumstances where I prefer wrapping by hand over using the rotary feature.

Get yourself a couple of different scissors. Anvil Ice are good and sharp and the Slick's with the Arrow point are good for intricate work. I have the tungsten carbides and they're a dream. There are "better" scissors out there but I just buy new ones when I need them and use the older ones to cut synthetics and wire. A cheap pair of scissors from a craft store will be fine for cutting synthetics to start with.

Bobbins, go with a couple of the ceramic lined ones. If you want to wrap wire bodied flies, get the metal lined ones exclusively for that purpose.

A pail of nail clippers works wonders when you're cutting material close to the hook shank.

I prefer a Martarelli style whip finisher. Get to know how to use one, it will pay off later. Half hitches work just fine for the most part, but I prefer a whip finish.

Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails is a great head cement. Cheap and readily available in most pharmacies.

Buy materials and tools as you need them. There's no reason to over buy to start with. That being said, figure out what you want to start tying and buy those materials. Tie a dozen or more at a time until you get the hang of that pattern, then move on. Save those flies and watch your progress.

I like Ard's suggestion: take tying classes. In 10 years of tying, I took one class and it was the most I've ever learned. I was self taught before the days of the youtube videos. While the videos are great, nothing for me compared to hands on instruction. The basics you will learn will greatly reduce your learning curve.

Last but not least, don't underestimate the power of the tying forum here. There are a ton of great tiers who have inspired, influenced and helped me out along the way. Post up your ties and your problems and I've no doubt you'll get help. We have a super thread going "What have you been tying today" that you should post pictures to once you get going. If nothing else, it's worth your time to browse through.

Good luck and enjoy it!

Reactions: Ard

dakotakid

Reaction score
+1 on the preceding comments.

I've been tying flies for less than a year, love it, and still have lots and lots to learn. Can't emphasize enough the value of fly tying lessons. Great opportunity to ask lots of questions and learn about different materials before you buy lots of things you really don't need. Perfect example is what applications the different feathers are best suited for.

Welcome to the addiction!

random user

Reaction score
This is the book I learned from:

It's a cool book. You can look up pretty much any particular thing and see it done without any of the other stuff in the way.

Think that's it, but I remember mine being blue.

TAKE A CLASS OR TOO!. Another self taught person here. Well, self taught with some rough critriques. Youtube is a realy cool thing, but rather useless if you don't have the basics down.

Start large, get comfortable and then go a little smaller with the same pattern or stay the same size with a slightly more complex pattern.

I learned on woolly bugger, Hornburg special, then muddler minnows, then pheasant tail nymphs, then an Adams dry.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and buy this book, it is the best I have found for the beginning fly tier, it details the materials needed for each pattern, the tools and how to use them, etc.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Cravens-Basic-Fly-Tying/dp/0979346029/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1367550043&sr=1-1&keywords=charlie+craven"]Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish: Charlie Craven: 9780979346026: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51maKAS6wSL.@@AMEPARAM@@51maKAS6wSL[/ame]

Also checkout Charlies Fly Box, he has 179 fly patterns listed and goes through a step-by-step on how to tie each pattern and the materials needed. Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

There are a lot of fly patterns listed on the forum, spend sometime looking at the step-by-steps. Also look on YouTube, there are tons of patterns shown there.

fly505

Reaction score
If you can swing a class...go for it, but if not, you'll be fine. Just don't give up! In the beggining you will feel as if your all alone in this addiction, believe me your not lol. Take your time and pick everyone's brain that you can and don't over complicate things. Don't stress if you can't find the exact materials you need, there are always alternatives to just about everything. There will be a bit of a learning curve, nothing worthwhile ever comes easy :). And most important...have fun!

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Others have mentioned some good advice. I'll add some other points.
  • Buy 100 packs in commonly used hooks and beads. Besides saving you money, you will save time by not having to make additional runs to the shop.
  • You do not have to limit yourself to fly shops for materials. Craft stores make great material shops.
  • You can always recycle old hooks to make new flies.
  • Whenever you are finished using a feather pelt, make sure to seal it up in its ziplock bag right away. Bugs can make a $100 saddle worthless.

Dennis

finisher

Reaction score
Thanks to all who offered tips and advice. I picked up a vise, some tools and a few materials today. I am off on what will be a life-long journey of education and relaxation mixed with a healthy dose of frustration. I'll post up pics of my first attempts. Please do not censor yourselves in critiquing. I have a thick skin and I'm eager to learn.

tpo

Reaction score
As a self taught tier for the past 25 years, my suggestions would be:

1) Buy a few good tying books, I saw a suggestion or two earlier in this thread.
2) Agree with the U-tube suggestion, some VERY helpful videos.
3) Start with a few simple flies and master them first. Wooly bugger is a great starter fly, it involves several techniques you'll use a lot (and its an effective fly). Pheasant tail nymph and hares ear nymph are others. Start with the materials you need to tie those flies.
4) Buy good tools. A Peak vice would be great (although there are adequate vices for $50-100), I saw Anvil and Dr. Slick mentioned for scissors, they are great. Get a few good bobbins, a bodkin, hackle pliers, tweezers, etc.
5) Recognize it will take time, you will continue to improve for as long as you tie. I get great satisfaction from the fact that even after 25 years and thousands of flies I believe I am still improving.
6) Enjoy it, tying is a fantastic hobby, it will help your fishing tremendously if you stick with it and you may, like me, get great satisfaction giving flies to your fishing friends as gifts.

Tom

popperhopper

Reaction score
Advil. And that's about it. No matter how well you prepare...read books....and Utube it. Plain old trial and error will be the best teacher.

But most importantly never lose the fun aspect. No matter how difficult it may be just keep at it. Wooly Buggers are a great fly to gain confidence with. Everything eats them and once you get the pattern down its easy to change it up.

Get the fly down first before you start trying to get creative too. I started by picking 5 flys. The best 5 for my area. (Lots of asking around) And all I tied were those flys. Nothing else. Then I tweaked them till they worked even better for the way I fished. Only then did I move on.

I chose 3 other types of flys and repeated the process. If one pattern was getting the best of me I made sure I could switch to another pattern. Or just go back to an old faithful.

Just keep it fun.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

L

Liphookedau

Hi.
I've been Tying for Quite a few years now The Best Tips I can give are:
Start Tying The easy Common Patterns you need as it's no use having a Box of Flies you won't use then progress onto The Harder Flies.
Also Go to You -Tube & watch Davie McPhail you will pick up some good tips & how to Tie heaps of Patterns.
As mentioned The Woolly Bugger is a Good All Round Fly & isn't that difficult to Tie.
Brian.

pszy22

Reaction score
It may just be me, but I find the videos available on the 'net, on the whole, more useful than books. As with anything else, there are good books/videos and not so good ones. Hopefully you find something you like.

As others have said, the best bit of advice I can give you, avoid the urge to tie one or two flies of a couple dozen different patterns. From a learning perspective, I think you are much better off to tie a dozen or two of the same pattern/ same size. This really helps you to develop an eye for proportions. Once you develop some basic techniques and a feel for proportions, most everything else just falls in place.

Of course, what you end up doing with 24 copies of the same fly is a whole different concern.

Reaction score
buy or make some cobblers wax. use it on your thread to secure materials with two wraps, no more.
Count your thread wraps - use the minimum.

THe biggest mistake beginners make is using half a spool of thread for a size 14 wet fly....

most of all, enjoy it, because if its not fun, you wont stick at it.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks to all who offered tips and advice. I picked up a vise, some tools and a few materials today. I am off on what will be a life-long journey of education and relaxation mixed with a healthy dose of frustration. I'll post up pics of my first attempts. Please do not censor yourselves in critiquing. I have a thick skin and I'm eager to learn.
I just love to see these type of posts!

You have the proper attitude and are quite correct about this whole thing being a life long education. I've been at this for a while and although I never really 'mastered' tying flies, I've found the intrinsic value of a fly by creating them. There are other things that can deliver an equal feeling of accomplishment; wood working and many other crafts come to mind. However, fly tying connects at a much more intimate lever to another life long pursuit than some others perhaps and that is sitting along a beautiful trout stream with a totally blank mind. No worries, no stress, just you and the sights and sounds.

I'll be watching for your postings of the flies.

Ard

Jimmie

Reaction score
I agree with Craven's book and Google "how to tie a -----" select the video option.
Craven's book progresses from easier to more advanced flies. By the time that you have finished his book you have used most techniques in tying.