The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 11:20 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Beginner fly tyers material list

fly tying lessons

This list of beginner tying materials is simply a list based on my 30+ years experience in fly tying. The list provided below is for a new tyer who wants to tie trout flies but can spill over to different genres of fly tying. It is a BASIC list. Could other items have appeared on the list? Of course they could but that's somebody elses list. Other tyers will add or subtract materials to their liking. So be it. Remember its a BASIC list of materials. It contains materials the can tie hundreds or even thousands of fly patterns.

This list is in no order of preference. This list is provided for your convenience and in no way requires you to buy all tying materials all at once or any materials for that matter. It is also a generic list of materials as I really don't have any preferences as to what brand of materials you buy.

Eventually you will need materials if you want to continue tying flies. The list may give you a head start as to what you might want to buy

Again, you do not have to buy the entire list all at once!

Buy what you want when you need it!

1. Hooks (in different styles and sizes)
2. Thread (6/0 to start in black & white)
3. Pheasant Tail (center feathers when possible for the longest fibers)
4. Peacock Herl (eye feathers and strung herl)
5. Marabou (blood quills are better)
6. Deer hair
7. Elk hair
8. Buck tail (in different colors like red, yellow, or white)
9. Lead or non-lead wire (in different sizes)
10. Ribbing wire (silver, copper & gold)
11. Rooster Hackle (grizzly, brown, white & dun) A good option is an introduction pack
12. Hen neck or saddle (grizzly, brown, dun etc) (great for soft hackle & wings)
13. Hungarian Partridge Skin (great for soft hackles)
14. Dubbing dispenser of hares ear (various colors) & superfine dubbing for dry flies
15. Gray duck or goose wing feathers (used for wing cases)
16. Head cement
17. Tinsel and other flash materials (in assorted colors)
18. Calf tail (start with white, add colors when necessary)
19. Yarns & chenille (used for making bodies, both in assorted colors)
20. Floss (1 strand or 4 strand in assorted colors)
21. Strung hackle (practice wrapping hackle with this. cheap alternative to the pricey hackles)

Poor quality materials are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them. Buy the best you can.

Another recommendation seen on most forums is to pick out 5-10 that you want to learn how to tie. buy the materials provided in the recipes of those flies. these materials are now the building blocks for tying different fly patterns in the future.

"The vice, bobbin, scissors and materials are fundamental."

for an absolute beginner, what more is really needed? those 4 items will tie hundreds of flies if not more.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 06-20-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:12 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beginner fly tyers material list

This is an excellent post flytire. I was a recipient of a fly tying kit years ago and could not have been happier. It was easily one of the best gifts I've ever received. Now that I'm more experienced, those materials wouldn't be my first choice (probably just the kit I received), but they were good enough to get me hooked on tying that's for sure.

I am generally an advocate of buy the materials as you need them, much as you are. The list you put together would give anyone interested in tying LOTS of options to tie different patterns that's for sure. I don't see any reason to deviate from it, it's very comprehensive and to do so would be like splitting hairs. Somehow I missed that it had already been marked as a sticky, it's certainly worthy.

Nicely done!
Liphookedau and MoscaPescador like this.

Last edited by jaybo41; 05-03-2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Already a sticky. Oops!
Old 05-03-2013, 04:35 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

I think it's in the sticky section already?

Old 05-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
I think it's in the sticky section already?
Yes, when I read this thread earlier today I thought it was really well thought out and should be a sticky to help keep it where the membership can find the information easily.

Larry
jaybo41 likes this.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:45 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Nice job, flytire. That is an excellent comprehensive beginners list. One could tie pretty much any pattern that he'd ever need.

2nd the sticky nomination. All in favor...?
Old 05-04-2013, 01:43 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Darn good thread! Excellent job!

I'll get a bit more specific for this. The three most common hooks for trout flies are:
Tiemco TMC 100 - Down Eye, 1X Fine, Wide Gape, Forged, Bronze - Dry Flies
Tiemco TMC 3761 - Sproat Bend, Down Eye, 2X Heavy, 1X Long, Forged, Bronze - Nymphs & Wet Flies
Tiemco TMC 5263 - Perfect Bend, Down Eye, 2X Heavy, 3X Long, Forged, Bronze - Nymphs & Streamers

If you want to stock up on hooks, you will need a selection of the models listed above.

Other brands have hooks that are shaped to the same specifications. They just have different model numbers.

Dennis
Old 05-04-2013, 04:35 AM

tiemco is an excellent choice for hooks but with the quality of today's hooks from the mom & pop distributors, i feel there's no need to tie a new tyer down to specific hook manufacturers. thats why my list above is generic.

i would also recommend barbless hooks but that too becomes a personal preference and that becomes the splitting hairs the list was trying to avoid.

i will add to my list above a style of hook such as dry, nymph and streamer.

Last edited by flytire; 05-04-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:44 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

What materials Flytyer has listed is pretty well spot on.
There was a similar previous Thread to which Larry & I replied where I mentioned where Kits were a waste of money as lots of the stuff you hardly/never used.
Over many years I've sourced Feathers & Materials as well as hooks from all around The World where I still buy most of my gear.
I mainly used Mustard Tiemco & all the other Top Line Hooks however I've found other Hooks which do The Same Job & are a lot CHEAPER.

Brian

Last edited by Liphookedau; 05-04-2013 at 05:07 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:25 AM

i was going to post here but added a new thread/topic
dwclapp likes this.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:00 PM

finisher will become famous soon enough

What happened to the list? I was hoping to print it out and go shopping...