The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By silver creek
  • 1 Post By flytire
  • 1 Post By brucerducer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 11:50 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hareline Scudback substitute

I have found a replacement for Hareline Scudback. Here are photos of the 1/4" and 1/8 " clear Hareline Scudback.

Click the image to open in full size.

It is identical to Sew-Ology Clear Elastic that I bought in the sewing section of Hobby Lobby. See the photo of the package and the material below.

Sew-Ology and Dritz brands of clear elastic

Sew-Ology elastic 3/8" outside the package.

This is clear elastic that is in the elastic section of the sewing departments. It is used in swim wear and underwear and is sometimes called clear swim wear or bathing suit elastic. Other companies make a similar material such as the Dritz brand that I bought at Joanne's. The Sew-Ology brand is thinner and better IMHO. I bought both to examine them.

Both brands are 3/8" in width and you get 5 yards of it for about $2-3. It comes in 3/8" width, and that is why Hareline cuts that into a 1/4" and 1/8" to sell it. I plan to cut mine into the same widths using a rotary cutter on a rotary cutting board.

You can color it with a marker to get the shade you want like the olive Hareline version.

mcnerney, jpbfly and oarfish like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 05-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hareline Scudback substitute

Good tip Silver....guess it's cheaper too
Old 05-03-2013, 12:21 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

been using that for a long time

heres even more to last a lifetime

clear elastic | eBay

mcnerney likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 05-05-2013, 04:08 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

I use either of two things for Scud Backs

#1 Plastic Zip Loc bags

#2 Pearlescent Gift Shred from the craft store.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:37 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Gardening supply shops sell a stretchy green (I think) vinyl for tying plants to stakes. It works well too. Plastic or rubber surgical gloves. Dang near any thin plastic especially in clear or earth tones, I'll cut strips by taping it to a cutting board and cutting strips to size with a straight edge and an Exacto knife.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey