The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 01:17 PM

flyweaver is on a distinguished road
Default killer bug

I came across some material that I believe matches Chadwick 477 when wet. Been tying some size 14 Killer bugs with excellent results using copper wire. I took 15 fish from a stretch I had just fished with another fly with negative results.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:21 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: killer bug

Is that the kinda plain looking pale grub thingy tied with wool or dubbin, with a rib of copper you say?
What specie were you fishing?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:29 PM

It's tied with wool yarn, there is a hares ear version called Walts worm. I was Fishing for trout.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:40 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Are you going to reveal the details of your find or just tease?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:55 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

how about a photo?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:35 PM

I don't have a photo camera screwed up. The material is something I picked up a long time ago, its light gray with a hint of other colors. It was sold by universal vise and the price on the card is 15 cents.I only have about 10"left and haven't ben able to find a replacement yet.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:15 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Being a self professed dry fly snob/bigot, I don't fish a killer bug. But I did see some guys who claim they have come up with a passable adaptation -

The Utah Killer Bug | Tenkara Guides LLC

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo