The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 10:04 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default 3 streamers (Classics as usual)

Been working on streamers the last while. Often a change is as good as a rest and i was burnt out with salmon flies...

America#1 8xl - first of the patriot series.
Click the image to open in full size.

Jungle Ghost #1 8xl - working from a dog eaten JC cape i had a limited size range of JC - i wish the front three were shorter/smaller. Also wish the Silver Pheasant was somewhat bigger, but it ain't so i'll deal with it. Might have a go at the Jungle Don when i get my new cape in the mail this week.

Demon #2 8xl - been wanting to use Amherst tippets for quite a while, so here they are. Again, this one could be better. I tied the throat as a full wound schlappen feather, hence why it is so long, but i really like the sweep you get from that tie in method over the features of a loose hackle throat. Perhaps the length would be better on a larger hook...

As always, lots to improve and details to watch for in future flies. The eternal learning process continues in earnest...

Comments welcome if you have any...

Eunan

Addicted To Vise
Old 05-14-2013, 01:50 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: 3 streamers (Classics as usual)

Those all are pretty cool. i thought I read somewhere that JC capes werent being allowed for import anymore or they were even harder to get now. Whats your say in the matter?

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-14-2013, 01:56 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

I got mine from Estonia. depends on who ships it and what its described as, as to whether they make it through customs.
Even at that, there are plenty of good quality JC capes to be had from US sellers, just a little more expensive.

Addicted To Vise
Old 05-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Those all are pretty cool. i thought I read somewhere that JC capes werent being allowed for import anymore or they were even harder to get now. Whats your say in the matter?
I found a grower in the UK through a friend, I can look up the link if you are interested. They run around 100 US but are plush with very few split nails. With the UK small partials shipping the total runs about 118 if I remember, no problem with customs. The domestic capes I've seen offered are nice quality on a whole but are sparse when it comes to the feathers. For a really nice skin they don't hesitate to ask 175 here. The UK deal was the best bang for the buck. I know it sounds crazy but you need to have a few of these so you don't go plucking the best you've got and come up short, I think I have 12 or 13 of them in different qualities collected over the long run

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-24-2013, 04:52 PM

powderfinger is on a distinguished road

Great work !
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:03 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Eunan.
As usual Magic Flies just looking at That Jungle Ghost & I thought:
The Work of Tying in all those J/Cock Nails & getting them spaced like you have as I only use them on certain Flies I hardly ever tie then it's only one Nail either side.
I also often see them on The US Ebay site from Estonia,The Capes I have I've had for years & are really Top Quality I think I paid $60-$70 for them then however being endangered I don't know if they are allowed into Australia???
Brian.
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Eunan: Amazing work on the vise, you are a true master at tying! Thanks for sharing your latest work.
s fontinalis likes this.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:41 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Amazing flies, works of art really.

On the Jungle Cock capes, I know the feather emporium sells them. I've looked at the ones on ebay but wonder about the legality of it. Given all the people who have bought from him it is probably a low risk, but could ruin your day.
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:43 PM

Thanks folks for all the comments.

RE: the patriot series flies, which includes the "America" featured here.
I've posted another in the series, Casablanca. THere are two more, General Mac Arthur, and Victory.
Gen MacA. is completed, and Victory needs belly and wing.
I'll have it finished this weekend and i'll post the complete set in a separate thread.

Thanks for checking in on the flies i tie. I dont fish anywhere near as much as i'd like to, so tying flies is the only way i can contribute to this forum....
williamhj likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 05-24-2013, 07:50 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I am a meat chuck'n streamer junky so naturally I was a bit sad that these were classics, but then i remembered just how amazing your ties really are, and I wasn't sad anymore. Simply fantastic!