The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Hardyreels
  • 3 Post By stenacron
  • 3 Post By danielp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 03:30 PM

Walter1023 is a jewel in the roughWalter1023 is a jewel in the roughWalter1023 is a jewel in the roughWalter1023 is a jewel in the rough
Default Tying a Spinner with hackle??

I've been tying variations of spinners with poly pro wings, CDC wings combo of polypro and CDC - but I think my most efective experiment has been hackle wings. I tie up a parachute style hackle - but then clip the front and rear of the hackle to more accurately reflect the outlying spent wings. Anyone have any hackle wing tips they's like to share or use this technique also ?....
Old 05-14-2013, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Tying a Spinner with hackle??

Hi Walter,

These are flies that were tied 20 or more years ago using wing burners to size the wings. I mounted them at half mast like the first picture and then just stroked them out into the 'spent spinner' posture if needed.

Click the image to open in full size.

With sparse hackles they were great on long slow runs & pools without a lot of riffling. In rough water they don't float well and I fished the poly yarn wings in the riffs'.

is this what you meant?

Ard
jpbfly and silvertip8k like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-14-2013, 05:56 PM

Walter1023 is a jewel in the roughWalter1023 is a jewel in the roughWalter1023 is a jewel in the roughWalter1023 is a jewel in the rough

Hey Ard......those are nice ties. I actualy forego the actual "wing" altogether .....simply parachuting my dun grey hackle and having the extended hackle - when trimmed in front and back - serving as the "wing representation". and you are absolutely correct I only can use it on calm clear glass pools..........with regard to faster currents... poly pro wings are much better.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

OK,

I guess I was misunderstanding the post, I think your way sounds great. I haven't fished dries much over the past 9 years since leaving Pennsylvania and the other states I lived in. I do rig a rod and tie on a big Light Cahill or Slate Drake every year and keep it in the rod rack in the boat on days when I spot a few risers. it doesn't hurt to see what a light rod and line still feel like after so long with the 2 handers and heavy singles.

You should put up a picture of your spinner pattern...............

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-14-2013, 11:08 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

I've seen Caucci's method of hackled spinner wings illustrated in his book Hatches II... two hackles are wrapped traditional style about mid-body forward, and then clipped top and bottom. The finished fly looks real good, but never tried it myself.

I kind of standardized on Krystal Flash for spinner wings years ago after reading an article by one of the Penn State fly-fishing guru's... works extremely well and catches any available light allowing you to track the fly on the water.

These trico spinners are tied on #24 hooks and you can see them quite well out on the water. The pattern floats a lot better than I thought it would too.
mcnerney, jpbfly and silvertip8k like this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-15-2013, 12:20 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I've palmered the hackle like a dry fly and then just clipped the top and bottom. It makes for an effective pattern.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 05-22-2013, 06:46 AM

danielp is on a distinguished road

Don't know if this is a common technique or not but I have had a lot of success with my own little BWO spinner pattern over here on the rivers of South Wales.

Sorry for the poor photo.

The wings are tied by simply tying a normal collar hackle and then using figure of 8 wraps with a strong thin thread (nanosilk) to bunch the fibres up in to the correct orientation. They are then held in place with dubbing.

I have found these work better on selective fish than my normal poly yarn winged spinners, still carry both though...
mcnerney, jpbfly and stenacron like this.