The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 08:19 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Default Weed guards

I just bought some Metz stainless wire weed guards. I am trying to come up with a few patterns for large mouth in heavy cover. Does anyone here use these? I'm just looking to shorten the learning curve and maybe come up with a few ideas on different weed less bass flies.

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

Click the image to open in full size..
Hers my first attemp
Old 05-18-2013, 09:29 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Weed guards

The Bugger you've pictured is a good start. Similarly, Seaducers are good bass flies. Rabbit strip flies too work well for bass. Deceivers are another fine fly for bass. There are actually many, many flies that work very well for bass. I even tie some Keys style Tarpon flies & use them for tidal river LM bass. I tie a lot of my bass flies on straight shank worm hooks normally used for plastic baits. I like big flies for bass fishing!

You can add weed guards to most any large fly. I like the wire guards, either the type you've shown or a 2 prong that fits under the hook point. I also use 2 prong mono guards like you may see on some Bonefish or Redfish flies. All depends on the type of waters I'm fishing & the type snags. If I'm throwing flies into wood, such as tree limbs, or around Spadderdock pads, I like the folded guards as you've shown. Anything like grass, I prefer the 2 prongs.

None are perfect, but an unfortunate necessity sometimes.

Here's some various flies I've tied for bass. Hope it gives you some ideas!
Click the image to open in full size.
tpo likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-18-2013, 11:24 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

How do you tie in those Metz weed guards? Also, can you use them on small streamers, let's say size 12?

Randy
Old 05-19-2013, 05:22 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

This is the first time I have tried them. They can be trimmed to length and used with a lot of hook sizes, The bugger I tied is a size 2 hook. I just bent it to shape and tied it in, Then bent it away from the hook to give me room to tie. I am still experimenting so it is a learn as I go kinda thing. I have found some nice fish in thick lily pads and need something to get at them. If I come up with any brain storms I will post them.

---------- Post added at 06:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 AM ----------

Hey BigJim Where in Md? I am in Delaware but my favorite bass waters are the tidal rivers on the eastern shore. I fish the Pocomoke and the Nanticoke often, I also chase some trout and stripers on the bay. You have some very nice looking flies and I have got a few ideas from them for my next ties and will post when I get a few more tied.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:46 AM

A few from this morning. Big Jim you mentioned the Chesapeake so the first thing that came to mind was a weed less fly for speckled trout. I usually use bend backs for specks in the grass but they don't leave much shank to tie on. I have found the best way to tie in the guard is to pass it thru the eye of the hook bend it with my fingers and trim to length, once it is secured it can be bent out of the way to finish the tie.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:59 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Jimw, I live near Annapolis, in Arnold. I work in DE & on MD's Eastern Shore. Most of the fishing I do is down there too. I've fished both the Pocomoke & Nanticoke in the past, but don't get down there too often now. I spend more time at Chicamacomico, Transquaking, Blackwater or the Choptank. Sometimes I'll go over & fish Wye Mills pond. I also like the upper end of the Honga for saltwater. Bit closer to drive for me. I've fished all over the state at one time or another.

Thanks for the comments about the flies. Glad they gave you some ideas.

Randyflycaster, IMO, wire weed guards do not work well with small size flies. Way too stiff. I've tied Bonefish flies as small as size 8 & added 2 prong mono guards to them, which is primarily for grass on flats. Some of the gunk you may encounter in freshwater, it won't make any different what you use they'll still foul. If it's a guard to prevent snags on rocks with streamers that small, you might do better with a Clouser style fly with the hook inverted.

Jim, nice looking flies! One of my favorite color combo's too. I also like bendbacks for trout. Since they have relatively soft mouths, I would prefer a guard made with hard mono rather than the wire, particularly in grass.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-19-2013, 08:01 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u174/bigjim5589/bassflies003a.jpg
This looks evil in a very very good way.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:17 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Jim,
Did you use thread to tie the guard in or mono?
Randy
Old 05-19-2013, 09:51 PM

Random user, I agree! Check out the website of Capt Chris Newsome. He's a guide in the VA Beach area. I've tied on worm hooks for awhile, but Chris has taken them to new levels. Tying Saltwater Flies for the Chesapeake Bay of Virginia

BTW, that hook is a VMC 6319. It has a longer front section than most worm hooks of that style. I purchase them from Jax Cat Tackle. It's a wonderful hook for streamers!

Randy, I used tying thread. I tie with Danvilles Flat Depth Ray Nylon most of the time. It's the same thread as the Flat Waxed, but is not waxed. Comes in fluorescent colors too. I use the Flat Waxed also.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
Jim,
Did you use thread to tie the guard in or mono?
Randy
Yes the one thing to watch would be the sharp edge at the end of the guard from trimming to length other than that I like these things so far. I used 210 denier for strength but I am sure 140 would work well too. I also epoxied the head for added strength and durability. I have not tried a clouser yet but would think a heavier set of eyes would be needed to compensate for the weight of the guard.