The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   Hook Color / Tone (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/319858-hook-color-tone.html)

random user 05-19-2013 08:06 PM

Hook Color / Tone

I've tied with Mustad hooks my whole life. Recently purchased a couple of hook assortments on line. These are a much brighter tone, almost silvery-bronze than the dull toned Mustads I have always used.

Am kind of apprehensious about tying on them since they seem so bright to me.

Is this something to actually be worried about or am I just not willing to accept something new?

Eddie O'Neill 05-19-2013 08:58 PM

Re: Hook Color / Tone

If it were me, I'd just tie a few and try them. Nothing to loose you have the hooks already. I would not have thought that the tone would make any difference. However I stand to be corrected if some of you guys know better;)

Hardyreels 05-19-2013 09:07 PM

Are the hooks for dry flies or wets?

random user 05-20-2013 06:44 AM

The hooks are 1X long wet fly nymph hooks and 3X long streamer hooks.

itchmesir 05-20-2013 10:52 AM

you shouldn't have any issues. guys been using those gold eagle claw arberdeen hooks for decades and they're still catching fish. don't know why your hooks wouldn't work. Sometimes us fishermen over think things when really fishing should be simple. stop getting wrapped up in what the fish don't care about.

flytire 05-20-2013 11:44 AM

from the interweb

I don't think fish KNOW what a "hook" is let alone what color it is in the water? Most lures (and colored) hooks are for sportsman to buy not to statify fish!

fredaevans 05-20-2013 11:50 AM

I tie (Salmon and Steelhead) patterns on gold and silver all the time. The little bit of 'flash' seems to help if the tie has lots of colour in it. A dull/black fly gets a dark hook.

audax 05-20-2013 12:14 PM

Some feel that the brighter finish actually "camouflages" the hook's presence by reflecting the environment.

I recall having similar thoughts to yours, initially, after tying on Mustads through the '80s. Since then, I've happily used Tiemco, Daiichi, Gamakatsu and Mustad Signatures,...also Dai Riki (but not so happy). With few model-specific exceptions, they all share that relatively bright finish, differing a bit in color tone. I've not tried any of the rebranded or off-brand hooks (e.g., Allen, Togen, Fly Shop, etc..), but I suspect they are similarly finished.

One thing I liked immediately was that the finish was extremely smooth relative to the variations found on the classic Mustad bronze finish. IME, those old Mustads typically showed some visible corrosion very quickly, and I've always wondered if the less refined finish was a contributor.

Hardyreels 05-20-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by random user (Post 557690)
The hooks are 1X long wet fly nymph hooks and 3X long streamer hooks.

I wouldn't pay much mind to this brighter finish. I was thinking that if they were an actual color they may have an effect on results but I use everything from Japanned Black to bright nickel hooks on some wets and all goes well. If they were red or the electric blue I've seen on some new hooks I might be hook shy myself.

Ard

random user 05-20-2013 05:32 PM

Thanks for the input... was what I was expecting.

WAH! I don't wanna have to adapt to more change! Things were just fine before! WAH! STOMPSTOMPPOUT! okay, I'm over it.