The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 08:06 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Hook Color / Tone

I've tied with Mustad hooks my whole life. Recently purchased a couple of hook assortments on line. These are a much brighter tone, almost silvery-bronze than the dull toned Mustads I have always used.

Am kind of apprehensious about tying on them since they seem so bright to me.

Is this something to actually be worried about or am I just not willing to accept something new?
Old 05-19-2013, 08:58 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hook Color / Tone

If it were me, I'd just tie a few and try them. Nothing to loose you have the hooks already. I would not have thought that the tone would make any difference. However I stand to be corrected if some of you guys know better
Old 05-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Are the hooks for dry flies or wets?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-20-2013, 06:44 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

The hooks are 1X long wet fly nymph hooks and 3X long streamer hooks.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:52 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

you shouldn't have any issues. guys been using those gold eagle claw arberdeen hooks for decades and they're still catching fish. don't know why your hooks wouldn't work. Sometimes us fishermen over think things when really fishing should be simple. stop getting wrapped up in what the fish don't care about.
bigjim5589 and fredaevans like this.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:44 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

from the interweb

I don't think fish KNOW what a "hook" is let alone what color it is in the water? Most lures (and colored) hooks are for sportsman to buy not to statify fish!
bigjim5589 and itchmesir like this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 05-20-2013, 11:50 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I tie (Salmon and Steelhead) patterns on gold and silver all the time. The little bit of 'flash' seems to help if the tie has lots of colour in it. A dull/black fly gets a dark hook.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:14 PM

audax will become famous soon enoughaudax will become famous soon enough

Some feel that the brighter finish actually "camouflages" the hook's presence by reflecting the environment.

I recall having similar thoughts to yours, initially, after tying on Mustads through the '80s. Since then, I've happily used Tiemco, Daiichi, Gamakatsu and Mustad Signatures,...also Dai Riki (but not so happy). With few model-specific exceptions, they all share that relatively bright finish, differing a bit in color tone. I've not tried any of the rebranded or off-brand hooks (e.g., Allen, Togen, Fly Shop, etc..), but I suspect they are similarly finished.

One thing I liked immediately was that the finish was extremely smooth relative to the variations found on the classic Mustad bronze finish. IME, those old Mustads typically showed some visible corrosion very quickly, and I've always wondered if the less refined finish was a contributor.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
The hooks are 1X long wet fly nymph hooks and 3X long streamer hooks.
I wouldn't pay much mind to this brighter finish. I was thinking that if they were an actual color they may have an effect on results but I use everything from Japanned Black to bright nickel hooks on some wets and all goes well. If they were red or the electric blue I've seen on some new hooks I might be hook shy myself.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-20-2013, 05:32 PM

Thanks for the input... was what I was expecting.

WAH! I don't wanna have to adapt to more change! Things were just fine before! WAH! STOMPSTOMPPOUT! okay, I'm over it.
Hardyreels likes this.