The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By woodrivertroutbum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 06:16 PM

rchouser12 is on a distinguished road
Default Does Joe Messenger Jr have a handle/call sign on this site?

Joe we met at The Sportsman's Emporium on Greenbag Rd. I wanted to see if you were on here. My name is Ryan Houser. I was the guy that showed up to the last two classes you did there (and actually knew what I was doing, not to get all arrogant).
Old 05-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Does Joe Messenger Jr have a handle/call sign on this site?

Hi Ryan,

I haven't run across him but that doesn't mean he isn't here.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-23-2013, 08:54 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Does Joe Messenger Jr have a handle/call sign on this site?

Run the name through Google; looks like I got more than one solid contact hit.

Fred
Old 05-24-2013, 07:18 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I think we'd know it if Joe Jr. was a member.
He's a very well known fly tyer and his name comes up often here on NAFFF

His father Joe Sr. was a legend. The creator of not only the Messenger (bucktail) frog, but the classic "Irresistible" dry fly

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:45 AM

He taught at a local fly tying round table thing. It was supposed to be like a gathering of guys to knock a couple back and swap flies at a local archery/fly shop. It turned out that nobody was any good and they were all asking Joe to teach them. All winter he taught a new pattern each week. I found out too late and only caught the last two classes.

---------- Post added at 05:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 AM ----------

I watched him tie a couple Irresstibles like his dad. No bobbin, no tools, just a nail in the table to hold the spool. We hit it off because at 22 I have over 13 years of experience tying (about as many years as the other folks at the class combined). <-- again trying not to come off all arrogant...

He got a kick out of a "youngster" showing interest as opposed to retirees. (no offence to anyone)

But, he was teaching a cool "local" Green Drake pattern of his own design (I believe) the first class I attended. He was cracking wise on me because, I showed up with my big pedistal rotary vise and I probably did look like some schmoe that went out and bought all kinds of expensive stuff not knowing how to tie. Others had been meeting for weeks building skills. But, as he went step by step tying bits at a time like a book come to life I was sitting there, done, while others were tying and adjusting stuff.

I put the fly into my box of looker flies that won't ever see the water. I got a nod of approval from a legend!!! I was absolutely giddy like a school girl... Joe liked my fly! I'll post a pic here soon! He is a really cool guy. I hope to get in touch and learn the frog pattern this summer. I need a Regal vise though. To tie deer hair properly, the Messenger way.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:48 AM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

Woah, you mean there were actually people that went to a class to learn something they didn't know? Crazy!
rchouser12 likes this.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:40 AM

Ok... I admit I came off snarky. It was supposed to be a pop a top fly swap... I wasn't trying to be mean I was just trying to explain why Joe and I hit it off. I was really interested in his variation of deer hair spinning. Most beginners don't do that. I just caught his attention because, I thought he was really cool and I understood what he was talking about. It made for easy conversation...

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post
Woah, you mean there were actually people that went to a class to learn something they didn't know? Crazy!
If I may emphasize for a third time. I wasn't a jerk in the "class". I watched a master at his craft intently taking notes and all. He and I hit it off
Old 05-25-2013, 10:07 AM

djamtime will become famous soon enough

Sometimes I cannot help but to be sarcastic.. Its my downfall, know that I tried hard not to write this but ****, I have failed. So for humors sake... Sounds like we have a man crush on our hands here Good luck finding Joe.