The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 01:40 PM

oldtownpaddler has a spectacular aura aboutoldtownpaddler has a spectacular aura about
Default What do I need to get started?

I have been fly fishing for a few months now and want to start tying my own flies to save money and to make fly fishing more fun. I have been looking at getting a kit but I do not know what I am looking for and what materials I need to start. Should I get a kit with the tools and materials I need or should I buy everything in parts. I would like to tie mainly nymphs with some streamers for trout fishing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 05-28-2013, 02:22 PM

fichy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What do I need to get started?

1. Decide what flies you need for the fish you intend to fish for. Try to pick the simpler patterns- often they'll work as well or better than the fancy stuff.
2. Obtain the recipes from a book or internet- preferably some good youtube vid.
3. Tool kits its are fine, especially for tools. You'll upgrade later, after the basics are mastered. Materials are tougher. You may get some junk and things you don't need. Might be better to talk to a reputable fly shop and have them help you pick out material for the flies you pick to tie.
4.Master one fly at a time and don't hesitate to take a fly back apart to get it right. You'll save time later by learning the right muscle memory now; save money by not wasting a bunch of flies in a drawer you won't fish.
5. If you can get a real live teacher at a fly shop, or Trout Unlimited, or by asking friends- it'll shorten the learning curve by miles.

There's a member here named South Holston whio has a website for his shop. A good fellow named Josh has some very good vids of some useful trout flies there. I can recommend them for ordering some materials , too.
Have fun, it's almost as fun as fishing
Old 05-28-2013, 03:33 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

What's your budget for a fly tying setup with materials? Can you name specific flies you want to tie? If so, start to research the fly recipes to get a materials list. Not sure where in Western PA you are but there are fly shops around, you should go to one of them and see some of the options first hand. Also, they'll have tying classes over the winter that you should most certainly attend.

Honestly, tying isn't really any cheaper, it's yet another part of the addiction. One might argue that it will be more expensive in the long run. A few of the advantages of tying are: you can make your own patterns or tweaks to existing patterns, you can learn to make flies more durable, and better replicate food sources more suitable than store bought flies for the waters you fish. Perhaps best of all, it's another wonderful aspect to fly fishing that takes it to another level. Catching a fish on a fly that you tied is bested only by watching your buddy catch a fish on a fly that you tied.

In the mean time, here are a few good threads that you can read. We've had similar topics discussed recently.

my thought on fly tying kits

Any headache saving tips for a new tyer? (besides don't start the addiction)
Old 05-30-2013, 01:19 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

a decent tying kit and tying lessons from your local fly shop

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 06-02-2013, 06:37 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Hi OldTownPaddler:

If you join one of the Fly Clubs associated with Federation of Fly Fishers,
you can usually get some Free Clinics on Fly Tying.

In my club, my tying lessons cost $10.00.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:24 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

get the tools you need, then decide on the flies you would like to start tying, and buy materials accordingly.