The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 07:20 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Stacked Calf Tail Wings

Is there a trick or something I am missing?

Have been working with a big streamer hook and stacking small tufts of calf tail as a wing with Danville's flat waxed nylon thread trying to come out with a wing on a 45* rearward slant with a sort of floss-like body below it.

Can't quiet get it to come out right. Am cleaning the butts of the calf tail and getting tight, tapered cuts on the butts of the calf tail and using sparse tufts.

Is there some kind of trick to this?

Any fly patterns I can google that will show me what I am looking for? All I have been able to find on the web are "Wulff" wings.

Probably not helping that I am using orange kip and chart thread.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:58 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Stacked Calf Tail Wings

They key is this.

When you tie in the calf tail, use loose wraps at the back, and tight wraps at the front (towards the eye).
The tight front wraps hold the material secure, the loose back wraps prevent it from splaying up and out like a fan.
If you tie them in like that you should be able to do a full wing in one bunch without having to smaller tufts....

I do a couple loose wraps to hold material down, then work forward with tighter wraps, and come back again working to looser wraps.
If you use cobblers wax on your thread, you will need fewer wraps to old the calf tail in place.

If you can swing it, let me know and i'll do a quick sbs tomorrow.

Eunan

Addicted To Vise
Old 06-01-2013, 05:07 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

what kind of streamer are you tying that has a 45 degree wing?? i'm puzzled

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 06-01-2013, 07:06 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Eunan,
Thanks for the details. I've got a nice little mohawks going down a few shanks right now. Not having problems with getting the wing in place: Problem is getting a smooth body underneath it as I tie in the wing tuft by tuft. I have a couple of ideas to try - just trying to minimize the steps / materials.

Flytire,
I'm just playing with materials and colors I don't like and tie poorly with. I think I may be on to something, but I am not sure I am going to be able to make it work. Right now I have a decent dorsal fin in bright orange over a chart floss body