The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 12:32 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Leprechaun's Hat Fly

Short story long.... Trying to learn to work effectively with colors and a style of fly to which I am very unaccustomed. For reference it's tied on a #1 Mustad 34007. No reason to hold back with the 2X4 o' Enlightenment.

This is round 2 of the idea. Looking for critiques, ideas and suggestions for it. Fly is a bit more symetrical than the images show. The stick-on adhesive eyes need some work. Not so concerned about the crinkly flash. I don't think it is quiet finished / right yet. Any ideas or suggestions?

Anyone have experience with splayed wings like these, or is a folly I pursue alone?

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks much.
mcnerney likes this.

Last edited by random user; 06-02-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:38 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Leprechaun's Hat Fly

Now that is totally unique. Have no idea how to tell you how to improve, but as done above, a hell of a winter Steelhead fly?

fae
Kerry Pitt likes this.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:06 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Leprechaun's Hat Fly

You're not alone with the splayed hackle wings. Tied to the rear of the hook, it would be similar to a Keys style Tarpon fly. Perhaps a bit over-dressed as such, but similar. Sometimes there is purpose in an over-dressed pattern. It should push a bit more water, and unless heavily weighted, sink at a very slow rate. Both attributes can be desirable sometimes. Such gaudy color could be great for off color, slightly muddy water.

Personally, I prefer matched hackles, usually at least 3 per side. If you lose a hackle from either side it loses some balance. A grizzly as the outer hackle, dyed or natural can add a lot of visual appeal too.

IMO, it would be a good bass fly, even in that color combination. Would certainly work as is for Seatrout & Redfish, Flounder & many other species.

I like it!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-03-2013, 07:19 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Thanks much.

Am tying these for warm water / bass family and perch. For me it easier to experiment on larger hooks. Don't know much about steelies, but I'd be willing to mail out a few to someone who wants to throw them at winter steelies.

It's dense intentionally, to keep it high in the water column. Looking at a bowl-lake that is 10"or less for a good ways off the shore and these broad edges are covered with weed beds.

The splayed wings cause the fly to have a weird motion on a retrieve or in a current - looks sort of wounded / dazed and confused kind of motions and they tend to flutter in unison to current pressure changes. Have done the same thing with clousers and buggers with some success.

Going to tie up a couple more versions, olive over yellow and purple over black and see what happens with them.

Did tie one up with a stacked marabou wing instead of the kip, and I didn't like it so much, but it is going to see some time the water.

I think I might be on to something, but then again I have thought that about many experiments which didn't really evolve into much.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:12 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet looking fly, I can imagine that it will definitely move some water, would be interesting to see how it behaves on the retrieve, certainly looks like it would move some big trout.........nice work!

Old 06-03-2013, 01:27 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Sweet looking fly, I can imagine that it will definitely move some water, would be interesting to see how it behaves on the retrieve, certainly looks like it would move some big trout.........nice work!

Larry brings up a heck of a good point, which few folks actually 'test' in moving water. Take a short rod (mono line is just fine) and a heavy lead shot of some sort to sink the thing. Just let out a few feet of line in current and see how it runs. Bad news is a lot of these things will actually 'spin,' for a lack of a better term, because they're 'off balance.'

Not a good thing!

If you gear fish, with 'plugs,' the first thing you're likely to read is 'test it in moving water and adjust the eye ring at the front to get 'it' to run true. No different than a 'junk on bunk' home tie.

fae
Old 06-03-2013, 01:39 PM

Stopped pouring here so I am heading out to try them.

first thing I did was modify a leader to carry a small barrel swivel. (Lesson learn from throwing 'cat toys' at river run smallies.)

-- later that same day --

They ride well in the water, a little wobbly, but no spinning or leader issues even with the small barrel swivel. Down side was I couldn't really fish it because of the little blue gills would swarm around it and tap tap tap away. Did find out I can't take vid and retrieve a fly at the same time.

Looks pretty good in black and purple too.

Last edited by random user; 06-03-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:53 AM

Have had it is the water for maybe 4 hours in a lake that holds LMB, pike, crappie and something referred to locally as white perch. Haven't caught a thing on it, but the lil gills sure to like to flock around it and pick away. Purple over black version has had the same result. Going to try another pair in a smaller size. and add a little weight to them.

Starting to think this may be another "fish them till I loose them experiment fail experiment".
Old 06-09-2013, 10:18 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

With all the rain we had recently, it may be the fish are just in a negative mood.
I would give those flies some serious water time, particularly as the weather improves. They'll produce, I'm sure of it!

Keep us posted!
Kerry Pitt likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-04-2013, 03:44 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Great pattern IMHO. They would work for Salmon on the Canadian Pacific Coastal Rivers so I would think they will work elsewhere.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.