The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: epoxy

Hi Jim,

The poly tape I used was the tan colored tape that you can't see through. I don't think those restaurant cups would be poly. I use to buy them from a gunsmith supply house. I found the cups were a little expensive so started using the poly tape. You could reuse the tape but at 4" per use it would take a long, long, time to use up a roll of tape. I also found the long skinny ice cream sticks were very good for mixing. You also get the benefit of removing the ice cream from the stick.

Frank
Old 02-03-2008, 10:05 AM

SouthernSteve is on a distinguished road

For what it's worth, I find that Devon 2-Ton Epoxy (available very reasonable at Wal-Mart, is the best stuff.

When tying multiple flies in which the epoxy is used as a coating, I will coat up to eight flies (depends on size of fly) and put them in my fly rotisserie.

If I'm using epoxy as the main body of the fly, I use Devon 5-Minute Epoxy and do one fly at a time.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Steve,

I also like the Devcon epoxy. You get a good mix with the tubes. It is easy to get as little or as much that you need for the job.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:32 AM

Alex Guthrie is on a distinguished road

i'll give that a try - i'v been using the 30 minute 2 part epoxy - i like the idea that i don't feel rushed to get all the heads coated as fast - since sometimes i have to work them a little slow.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:51 AM

philthy is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

I use all kinds of adhesives and glues when repairing composite parts on the planes I build and found that paper plates and bowls work really well. The ones we have in our break area have a slick coating on them. Not sure if it's wax or what, but the coating doesn't come off. Some of the glues I use get really hot when curing and the plates have held up well, while plastic beakers melt on me. For mixing, I use tongue depressors.

Not sure how well this transfers from aviation to fishing, but figured I'd throw in my .02

Phil