The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   epoxy (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/3219-epoxy.html)

MrEsox 02-01-2008 11:09 AM

epoxy

When appling epoxy what are some do's and dont's? Is it a good idea to leave it in the tieing vice or not? When doing a minnow type fly should I do most of the fly, just the head, or just enough to leave some fluf and tinsle out the back?

DMV 02-01-2008 11:29 AM

Re: epoxy

HI:

Epoxy is something That as I found out has to be experimented with, try applying the epoxy on the fly with small coats letting it dry and applying another coat as the fly may need ......

Cheers: Dave

BigCliff 02-01-2008 01:16 PM

Dave brings up a good point. Find all the fugly flies you tied up when you were getting started and experiment with epoxy on them. Its tricky stuff to work with, and requires some practice/experimentation.

Best "trick"- make sure you are using EXACTLY equal quantities of the two parts and mixing it thoroughly.

Alex Guthrie 02-01-2008 08:13 PM

if you want a good round head you may need a fly/jig spinner. i just bought myself one for christmas and i'm really glad i did. it makes a huge difference in my streamers.

MrEsox 02-02-2008 12:09 AM

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try, as of now all I have done is made a mess. My best results have been with some stuff called fishing glue but it is not an epoxy. If you know it it makes for a great finishing touch on a fly. But it is thin and does not coat like epoxy. I am looking to make a minnow type fly and want a solid body on it with just a bit of fluf/flash on the back side. Thanks

shorthaul 02-02-2008 07:19 AM

Has anyone used uv glue instead of epoxy?---i saw some this past week that were really nice---some of them had "hard as nails" over them and the ones that didnt weren't as shiny and were a little soft---the uv stuff looked pretty expensive.

I just bought a gearmotor from mcmaster-carr for 20 bucks to make a spinner for epoxy.

jimw 02-02-2008 07:58 AM

To cut down on the mess try mixing on post it notes and use toothpicks to apply I usually on do one fly at a time and keep spiining them by hand. 2 or3 thin coats work better than a thick one if you don't have a spinner. i use stick on eyes after the first coat then put a coat over them to seal them.
It takes a little practice but is not that hard good luck.
jim

BigCliff 02-02-2008 02:15 PM

Along the lines of jimw's post-it idea, old phone books work well too. Rod builders use this route because their mixing epoxy sooooo often.

Frank Whiton 02-02-2008 03:38 PM

Hi to all,

I use to use a lot of epoxy glue and here is the best way I found to mix. Take a post-it or any 3" to 4" square piece of paper. Take a 2" wide piece of Poly tape (packaging tape) and lay a piece across the paper. Now mix on top of the tape and it won't soak into the paper. You can use two pieces of tape side by side with a little over lap. After it dries you can pop any unused epoxy right off the tape. If you need to mix more than just a dab, you can use a small poly cup. Again, the unused dried epoxy will pop right out of the cup.

Frank

jimw 02-02-2008 04:35 PM

Hey Frank
Epoxy won't stick to packaging tape? I never knew that i tought it stuck to just about anything. I liked the post it notes but it is kinda wasteful. Can the tape be used over and over? I only tie flies for myself and only do one at a time so i use very small amounts. Are poly cups the cups that resturants use for condiments?
Jim