The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 10:44 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Why Can't I Tie a Simple, Standard Tie Anymore?

Sat down tonight with a very simple goal: 2 black woolly buggers and 2 black woolly buggers with small black dumbbells. Quick, easy and simple, right?

End result is that I have a dozen flies hanging and none of the 4 I started out to tie. All woolly-bugger-esque, but none of them 'right'. Have olive bodies with black and brown tails and a black saddle rib. Have teased out black, wool yarn bodies, olive and black tails with purple saddle ribs. Have a couple multiple color buggers with a zonker strip back, a al the sparkle ghost bugger with the squirrel skin back.

I know it is all just semi-standard color substitution stuff and that wooly bugger is a broad and vague term, but why can't I just tie the tried-n-true standard pattern - black marabou tail, black saddle rib counter wrapped with fine copper wire, black chenille all over a lead underbody?

(Was really surprised to see how well the Dark olive, dark brown, dark purple and black all worked together.)

I guess the question is: Does anyone else have this problem?
Old 06-12-2013, 04:35 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why Can't I Tie a Simple, Standard Tie Anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
why can't I just tie the tried-n-true standard pattern - black marabou tail, black saddle rib counter wrapped with fine copper wire, black chenille all over a lead underbody?
only you can answer that question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
Does anyone else have this problem?
no. when i sit down i know what i want to tie
MoscaPescador likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 06-12-2013, 08:37 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Random, it's easy to get distracted with all the materials we have available, but like flytire said, it's not difficult to tie something specific if you know what you want to tie.

I love experimenting & when I sit down, often don't know what I'll tie. But, when I have a pattern in mind, that's what I tie.

Just lay out the necessary materials for buggers, and nothing else. Then tie only buggers. Discipline yourself man!

Darn it man, don't make me come up there & flog you with a calftail!

fredaevans likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-12-2013, 08:48 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Over-thinking a simple pattern?

Any color combo on a Wooly Bugger will probably catch fish... day in and day out though, hard to beat the consistency of black and/or olive.
jaybo41 likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 06-12-2013, 09:05 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

When I sit down to tie something specific, I like to knock them out as quickly as possible before I get distracted.
If I get to 5-6 before going off on a 'tangent", I call that successful
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:06 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
When I sit down to tie something specific, I like to knock them out as quickly as possible before I get distracted.
If I get to 5-6 before going off on a 'tangent", I call that successful
I wish I could be that successful!

I'm always thinking of how to get more out of the fly, make it a little more natural / effective or how to get more blended/blurred subtle hues or colors into it to make it [edit] less [/edit] obvious that it is a forgery or make it move better in the water or something else along those lines.

Last edited by random user; 06-12-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:41 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds to me as though your "problem" isn't so much of a problem and more along the lines of not sticking with what you intended to tie. Free-stylin is fun and a good thing. I've learned what does and does not work this way. Fortunately as has been mentioned, with buggers its nearly impossible to go wrong.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:58 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I'm always thinking of how to get more out of the fly, make it a little more natural / effective or how to get more blended/blurred subtle hues or colors into it to make it obvious that it is a forgery or make it move better in the water or something else along those lines.
I think we all go thru phases in our tying where our desire to be creative or improve upon what's already been done gets the best of us. It's easy to want to tie & be creative & improve the flies you tie. But, it's difficult to reinvent the wheel. Perhaps you're bored. Or, perhaps you're materials selection is limited enough that you just want to make the most of your tying. That's human nature IMO.

I've been going thru a mental block lately myself. I don't have a lot of desire to sit down & tie. I'm sitting here putting some finish on the heads of some flies I tied previous & never finished. I have more flies tied than I'll use, so have no real need to tie more. I've gone thru this before & always snap out of it. In the mean while, I'll browse the various websites I frequent & perhaps contribute something that will help someone else. This keeps my head in fishing & tying, and sometimes someone else will post a fly or even a lure that gets me inspired enough to want to tie again.

Don't sweat it, do what makes you happy. Eventually, you'll come full circle & will have little problem tying anything, even established & perhaps boring patterns. Sounds like you may just be bored or going thru one of those phases.

Frankly, as far as buggers go, I much prefer those tied with estaz in the body & flashabou in them to the basic bugger, so I don't tie a lot of them either.
jaybo41 likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-12-2013, 02:55 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

The more I tie of one pattern the better they get! If I haven't done one in a while or it's new to me the first 2 are usually lousey! Then as I progress they become better and better with repitition! So for me basically if I need 10 I usually tie twelve and throw 2 on the recycle pile! For me it's like batting practice once I'm in the groove I'm hammering it!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-12-2013, 02:56 PM

fish4reds is on a distinguished road

X2 with estaz. I also tie in hair at eye on belly to make it flip over and come in hook side up to prevent hangups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk