The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 09:20 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Need some help with hooks.

Looking for something very similar to a Mustad 34007 in the #1 size range which isn't stainless or duratin.

I like the size and weight of the hook, but want to get away from the corrosion resistance because I am expecting bite-off's to be common enough. If I am going to be leaving a fly in a pike's mouth, I want it staying there for as little time as possible. I am under the assumption that the "bronze" finished steel hooks will deteriorate much faster.

Any suggestions?
Thanks much.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:52 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some help with hooks.

Hooks In or Hooks Out?
Old 06-14-2013, 02:04 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
RRRrrrRRR - Sure shatter my delusions with scientific method!

Bronze still looks to be the best option, or the lesser of evils, in this case.

Beef up the tippet and avoid cadmium - got it.

What are 34007's? 2-3X Long, heavy wire streamer hooks?
What's a good bronze finish version?
Old 06-14-2013, 03:48 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
The 34007 and the 3407 are the same size. The difference is that the 3407 is "tinned" and not stainless. They're cheaper and hold an edge better too.
As for the bronze equivalent.....I don't know
Oh, I can get the 3407 down the street at the Benny's store too.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:16 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

The bronze equivalent to the 3407 is a 3406 or a 3406B which is nickel plated. Nickel rusts almost as fast as bronze, but is not as "toxic" as cadmium.

Try here for a size 1 - fishdaugfishhooks on Ebay.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:33 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
RRRrrrRRR - Sure shatter my delusions with scientific method!

Bronze still looks to be the best option, or the lesser of evils, in this case.

Beef up the tippet and avoid cadmium - got it.

34007 has a 1x long shank at the longest. The O'Shaughnessy bend makes it look longer.

Try an Umpqua U502.

Dennis
Old 06-15-2013, 07:34 AM

Went looking around the Mustad site with a little new info and found this:

Product News

Now I just need to find someplace that isn't selling 10/0 - 14/0 alligator hooks. Google isn't helping. Otherwise it's the Umpqua U502's.

This all started out looking for some #2 and #4 3906B's or 9671's for some Crazy charlies / Gotchas and maybe some Comets. Then I started thinking about hooks for more like that pike I hooked into the other day. (Sorry, I 'think' in old Mustad numbers - was looking for a 1 - 2 X long, heavy wire, wet fly/nymph hook. I really wish I could get 3908's, but those are sooooo long gone.)

Last edited by random user; 06-15-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:13 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Another idea might be some of the Limerick bend hooks. Some are forged & similar to an O'Shaughnessy. I've seen some because of the shape, that it was hard to tell either way.

Daiichi & some others brands often sell them as Steelhead or Salmon hooks & some have a straight eye, while others may have turned up and/or a looped eye. Most I've seen are finished in black, or red, which would also rust out quickly if they're lost. I had some Daiichi in size 1, with a black finish that I tied rabbit strip leeches on for bass. A good hook IMO. Strong & sharp.

I recall a fellow on Ebay selling some size 1 in a red finish recently. His were Daiichi, a very good quality hook, but also expensive compared to Mustads.

I believe he had them for about $15 for 50, but not positive.

I'll see if I can find that listing again.

OK, found it. 100 hooks 14.99 plus 1.99 shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Daiichi-...item53f9d71500

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Last edited by bigjim5589; 06-15-2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Added Ebay listing