The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 9 Post By stl_geoff
  • 3 Post By bigjim5589
  • 2 Post By enolaeagle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 10:13 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default ATTN All tyers: I "Challenge" you to a duel!!

**glove slap!!**

OK so not really a challenge or a duel. Hear me out. The other day I read a blog entry about being creative as a tyer and adapting patterns to suit our needs. It also was about embrassing creativity and knowing that if it doesn't work you can always cut it off and try again. So the other night an idea popped into my head as I was sitting down to clean my desk. ( Hopefully ) Like other tyers, my desk in mid season is a whirl of scraps, loose feathers and strands and just general chaos. I sort whats good and still usable, the rest is dumped. That's when the idea hit. I saw a bare hook laying down, there was a spool of thread in the bobbin and a single loose pair of lead eyes. So...using only materials that were laying freely on my desk, I tied a fly. Had no idea of what I was going after, but I tied one and honestly Im happy enough with the end result I plan to go back and make a different colored version. So that's my "challenge" to you all. tie a fly using only whats loose on your desk. You can cut things down to size, but no opening bins or baggies or boxes to get a material out ( if you need a hook or thread that's fine but pick at random ). Just your "scraps". Take a picture and post it up. I want to see some creativity and maybe spark some genious!!!

here it is, in version 1...The Bench Clearer

Click the image to open in full size.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 06-18-2013, 10:44 PM

enolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really nice
Default Re: ATTN All tyers: I "Challenge" you to a duel!!

I like it

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-19-2013, 06:14 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Looks good!

I do that sometimes too! Instead of trying to store away scraps, I'll tie with whatever is on the table. I hate throwing anything away! (No, I'm not cheap, I'm thrifty!)

Here's one such fly. Approximately 4" long. Barbell eyes, 1/0 hook, a bit of cross cut rabbit, Hackle Flash, the chamois type tail & some chartreuse & gold Polar Flash. All left over from tying other flies. I fished this fly the other day & really liked the action it had. Didn't catch anything on it, but I'm sure it will do well.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:45 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

i like tying in a clean area so i usually take out only enough material for the quantity of flies i'm going to tie and then throw away any type of leftover bits and trimmings. my goal is to not waste any material. not much you can do with 1/8 inch long butt ends of hackles or fallen guard hairs from spikey dubbing. whatever material i dont use goes back in the bag for future use on another hatch of flies

yup, i'm cheap and damn proud of it!

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 06-26-2013, 07:15 PM

enolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really nice

I don't even know what I just did. I haven't tied anything in a long time and have basically zero supplies but I scrounged this stuff outa my vise box. Maybe a panfish will like it...

stl_geoff and brucerducer like this.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-27-2013, 06:08 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

I liked the flies you fellows showed.

Very good looking work.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:22 AM

streamborn_jr77 is on a distinguished road

This is an awesome idea lol!!!! Wish i was better at tying !!!
Old 06-27-2013, 07:38 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I actually had full intention on using this fly the last weekend but i was too distracted by all the large fly topwater action i couldnt switch to anything else.

Storm Drain Bonefisher