The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Glen Wright
  • 1 Post By random user
  • 2 Post By stimmy7
  • 1 Post By Glen Wright

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 10:52 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default My First Streamer Tie

Until last night I'd never tied a streamer patter. Since I've taken up Striper fishing I figured it was a bout time. So I tied a couple Chart Clousers. With a bit of practice my heads should get better and I should be able to keep the bucktail from rolling around the hook.

Click the image to open in full size.

I realize that one of the great things about fly tying is having the freedom to take artistic license with regard to changing patterns and materials used. For instance instead of peacock herl I often use my favorite peacock dubbing material on flies with the same results while fishing.

Nevertheless, is there any practicle reason to not substitute bucktail with something synthetic like Fly Tyers Dungeon "Congo Hair." I ask, because I often find synthetic materials easier to work with and cheaper (I'm a tight wad). However, if for some reason bucktail is geninuely the best to use I'll keep using it.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:04 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: My First Streamer Tie

I've tied a lot of small Clousers with 'Santa Clause Beard" from a craft store, various squirrel tails and long fur from collars from old coats, dyed ostrich herl works too.

Thing I have noticed about some synthetics is that you sort of loose some of the sleek, tapered shape.

From what I have researched about Clouser's is that the profile/shape is the important aspect and how you get there is secondary. Did read an article once which stated that Bob Clouser tied his all synthetic versions with all of the material below the shank to keep the profile slim.

Thing I have found which makes a clump of bucktail easier to deal with is to apply it to the hook rotated a bit to my side so when the thread starts pulling it up and around the hook, the clumps rotates up to where it belongs. Loose wraps at the rear of the clump and tightening down as you progess toward the eye helps with keeping the bucktail from flairring out too much

Damn nice first bis at a streamer. Will gladly test it out for you if you want to mail it to me.
ted4887 likes this.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Tom: Sweet looking Clouser, that will catch fish regardless of how the head looks. Like you said, the head will get better with practice.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:42 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

clouser minnows have been tied with numerous synthetic materials

youre only limited by your imagination

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 06-27-2013, 02:29 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

One caution here... if the wing/tail materials are long... lots of synthetics are too soft to avoid tangling around the hook. This is one reason tying material lists for Clousers recommend using bucktail or calf tail.
Kerry Pitt and FlyBum like this.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimmy7 View Post
One caution here... if the wing/tail materials are long... lots of synthetics are too soft to avoid tangling around the hook. This is one reason tying material lists for Clousers recommend using bucktail or calf tail.
Thank you this is good intel!
Kerry Pitt likes this.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.