The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 5 Post By rccola712
  • 4 Post By s fontinalis
  • 2 Post By jaybo41
  • 1 Post By dean_mt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 07:57 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough
Default A Soft Hackle Kinda Day

For the better part of today I've been tying mostly soft hackle today. It's been way too rainy to be out on the river today but it was really nice to sit around listening to music and cranking a few flies out. I used my wife's camera so hopefully you can make out the details. As always, any constructive criticism is always appreciated!

Click the image to open in full size.

Then I tried a few with CDC to see what happens. Some of them wound up a little bulky but here's the best one.

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
~ Arnold Gingrich
Old 07-04-2013, 08:50 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: A Soft Hackle Kinda Day

look great, though i think the heads are a bit on the big side.

DO you tie the hackle in last?? I suspect so.

Try this

Start your thread on the hook, do a few wraps to secure the thread (jam knot), then tie in your hackle, on top of the shank, with the underside up (the hackle should curve up.
Secure the rest of the stem down along the hook shank, then tie the rest of your fly.

When it comes time to wrap the hackle, its already tied on!!
Just take your two or three wraps (for soft hackles, sometimes even one wrap of a half stripped feather is enough), then bring the thread through the hackle, tie off the end with a few wraps, and whip finish.
you have much smaller head, and a very secure hackle!

Eunan

Addicted To Vise
Old 07-04-2013, 09:21 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Those are some great looking flies! I think you'll find they'll fish just fine. Thanks for taking the time to post them. I didn't always fish them, but over the past couple of years I've found myself fishing them more often. Eunan nailed my thoughts on improving your ties. Strip one side of the feather tie it in wrap back up and stick with 2-3 turns of hackle at most.

This video by Hans Weilenmann REALLY helped me improve my soft hackle technique. I've learned lots from his videos--thank you much Hans!

Hardyreels and dean_mt like this.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:48 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
look great, though i think the heads are a bit on the big side.

DO you tie the hackle in last?? I suspect so.

Try this

Start your thread on the hook, do a few wraps to secure the thread (jam knot), then tie in your hackle, on top of the shank, with the underside up (the hackle should curve up.
Secure the rest of the stem down along the hook shank, then tie the rest of your fly.

When it comes time to wrap the hackle, its already tied on!!
Just take your two or three wraps (for soft hackles, sometimes even one wrap of a half stripped feather is enough), then bring the thread through the hackle, tie off the end with a few wraps, and whip finish.
you have much smaller head, and a very secure hackle!

Eunan
That sounds like a cool little trick, especially for the tiny, space ones. Will have to try it. I tie and fish mostly soft hackles.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:01 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

First, very nice looking flies, fish catchers for certain. I love tying and fishing soft hackles.

Eunan nailed it on the steps, and the video of Hans hammers it home so perfectly. That guy is the most amazingly efficient tyer I've ever seen. Awesome.
jaybo41 likes this.