The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 07:53 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default Can I see some midge variations?

I am pretty new to tying, but I love tying midges. I like the fact that I can tie a very effective fly only using a bead, thread, wire, and occasional some peacock. I mainly tie different colors of zebra midges and brassies, but I am always looking for new variations or color combinations. Also, if anybody ties anything with two different colors of wire, I would love to see those, and a brief explanation of how you tie them. I mainly tie them in size 18. Thanks
Old 07-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I see some midge variations?

Planettrout ties more midge patterns than anyone else I know. Use the "advanced search function" searching for post by Planettrout or just spend some time looking in this thread, he posts some awesome looking midges and a lot of the time will post the receipes.
What have you been tying today?

Another person that ties some pretty awesome midges is Joni, you might search on her posts also.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:03 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I've had good success with the Zebra Midge and variants. Sometimes I put a peacock collar on them, change the color of thread and wire. You can also tweak it by putting a small bit of CDC behind the glass bead to represent the wings. A few favorite Zebra Midge variants are olive green thread and either silver or gold wire with a silver or gold bead. Another one that works for me is a copper bead, copper wire and tan thread. I see lots of larva in some of the streams I fish in these colors which is why I tie and fish them.

Another good one for me is the Rojo Midge. There are some youtube videos on how to tie them. Do a search, it's a good fly.

You can do a simple PT midge, wrap a small traditional nymph hook with PT, counter wrap with wire and use a bead of your choosing. Or go beadless.
comeonavs likes this.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:10 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Here is two i caught a lot of fish on over this winter and spring. First is just blue micro tubing wrapped down the hook shank, peacock her for the thorax and a extra small clear bead on a size 20. I used a Dai Riki 125, but a Dai Riki 135 works fine too.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is one I made up varying a RS2 . Use a size 20 dry fly hook or size 22. Use 2 or 3 pheasant tail fibers for the tail or synthetic mayfly tails.Lay down hot orange wire in X-small. Then Basically use black thread, build up a taper. Use a tiny amount of orange Antron for the top. Wrap the wire forward, tie it off. You could also use superfine dry fly dubbing to help build the taper.

Go to Charlie Cravens website for Poison Tung, I modified this one with the Emerger wing case

This is a good site too, most of them you can figure out the recipe by looking at the simple midges. The Midge Manifesto: The Midge Box

Here is one I tied after looking at this site, The Old Poudre Canyon Chronicles Pattern List

Rainbow warriors from Charlie Cavens site are a easy tie and very effective fly
jaybo41 likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 07-05-2013, 10:49 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a zebra midge variation I've found effective. I usually tie it in 18, 20, and sometimes 22 though I don't enjoy tying it that small. Too many parts.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:05 PM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

Here is a link to reverse midge patterm i tie.

It works best in size 22.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:37 PM

tpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura about

Here are some brassies I use to fish Lake Davis here in Northern California where there are big blood midge hatches. Patterns with red are particularly effective as a result, either black and red or maroon and red wire are my favorites. I simply ties the two pieces of wire down the hook and wrap them up towards they eye keeping them together as tight as possible. I use red thread underneath. I have some other blood midge tied with super floss/stretch floss with a silver wire rib that is another favorite of mine. I'll have to take some pictures and post those.

Tom

Old 07-05-2013, 11:40 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdDryFly View Post
I am pretty new to tying, but I love tying midges. I like the fact that I can tie a very effective fly only using a bead, thread, wire, and occasional some peacock. I mainly tie different colors of zebra midges and brassies, but I am always looking for new variations or color combinations. Also, if anybody ties anything with two different colors of wire, I would love to see those, and a brief explanation of how you tie them. I mainly tie them in size 18. Thanks
Might I suggest looking at Combo Thread from Cascade Crest rather than two colors of wire:

Combo Threads

This allows one to tie really small patterns of Midges and get the segmentation effect that is so desirable...

C-THREAD MIDGE - Red/Black …

HOOK: Gamakatsu C12-B, #18 – #20

THREAD: Tiemco 16/0, Black – under Abdomen

SHUCK: 1 strand UV Pearl Krystal Flash

ABDOMEN: Combo Thread, Red/Black 6/0, Cascade Crest

THORAX: Iridescent Peacock Herl, Black, Spirit River

BEAD: Tungsten, Black – Sized to hook

YELLOW/BROWN SOFT HACKLE MIDGE…

HOOK: Alec Jackson Soft Hackle Trout Fly Hook – #17

THREAD – UNDER ABDOMEN: Tiemco 16/0, Brown

ABDOMEN: Combo Thread, Yellow/Brown – Cascade Crest

SHUCK: Three short strands Midge rainbow Flash – Cascade Crest

THORAX: #.83 Pheasant Tail Emergence Dubbing – Nature’s Spirit

HACKLE: AAA Starling, Dyed Olive

Super Hair and Fluoro Fiber are two other materials that can be wrapped in this manner...Check Charlie Craven's Fly Box for his JuJu series of Midges

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 07-06-2013, 04:51 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

heres some i tied awhile ago

Normand Frechette flies

heres some other folks tied

Jeremy Barela flies

Charlie Craven flies

Rick Takahashi flies

Jude Duran flies

heres some from the internet

https://www.google.com/search?q=midg...w=1600&bih=775

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdDryFly View Post
Also, if anybody ties anything with two different colors of wire, I would love to see those, and a brief explanation of how you tie them.
tying midges or any other flies using 2 wires is no different than using 1 wire to create the body. just tie in the wires as you would if using 1 wire and wrap both forward at the same time. to eliminate any ugly bumps at the bend of the hook i always tie in the wire(s) behind the eye of the hook and often times when using a bead i will fill in the gap between the bead and shank by inserting the wire(s) inside the bead

in this tutorial, charlie craven uses super hair. just substitute wire for the super hair and tie it the same way. its the tying steps you want to copy

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/fly...fm?parentID=95

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 07-06-2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:11 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I had to work Thursday, and I drive a truck for a living. As I passed through an area where there is small stream in North Eastern MD, I noticed what looked like tiny drops hitting the windshield. A lot of them! It was some type of insect. Later, after daylight, I took a close look & they appeared to be a midge. Very light greenish to pale yellow in color, most about a size 20 I think. Hard to really tell, as they were smashed against the truck hood & grill. There were some wings intact, and they didn't look like mayflies or caddis, and certainly not stoneflies. Looked similar to mosquitoes, but I'm sure they were not.

From a fly fishing perspective, I thought it was cool to see them, but not so much smashed all over my truck!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!