The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 09:12 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default "Bucket List" flies

Have you ever had some flies on your "bucket list"?

I finally got around to tying one of mine. "The Bumblepuppy" by Theodore Gordon. What's on your list?

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney, kelkay, pszy22 and 3 others like this.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:25 PM

tbum2020 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Bucket List" flies

I'm going with an original, classic style Jock Scott!
Old 07-09-2013, 06:08 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbum2020 View Post
I'm going with an original, classic style Jock Scott!
Venerable choice! An eye please 'er for sure. Have you done a mixed feather wing yet?
I love the classics but have always been put off by the cost of materials so I never went there really. I totally understand the addictive nature of tying those flies though.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:14 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

No bucket list here. Millions of patterns to choose from. I just tie what I like.
mcnerney likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 07-09-2013, 10:10 PM

Next on my list is a fly I've considered for a long time...."the Panama". I'm rounding up the materials and will give it a post when I put it together.

Vague history to this fly. Popularized in France but some say it's an "American" creation. I know it's a fish getter by the looks of it but I never got around to putting one on the water. The fly has been tempting my vise for 40 years and I think it's about time I put one together.

It's a slightly complicated dry fly and will be a few new techniques for me to try out.

Later
Old 07-11-2013, 03:56 PM

"The Panama" (modified pattern)

Old 07-12-2013, 01:23 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

This is my bucket list fly. Now if I could just figure out how the hell to tie it.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:44 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

I'd just like to tie a GOOD pheasant tail. (Mine do catch fish!!!!!!)

Nick, I'd have to turn you in- you didn't pinch the barbs on yours.

CAB
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:57 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
I'd just like to tie a GOOD pheasant tail. (Mine do catch fish!!!!!!)

Nick, I'd have to turn you in- you didn't pinch the barbs on yours.

CAB
I WISH that fly was mine. Just one I have seen and love. I don't actually fish for trout so none of my flies are barbless.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice work on the Gordon pattern.

The Bumble Puppy is a great choice for tying, I've been making renditions of them for a long time. The flies below were done about a year ago I think; really cool part is the fish here grab them as well as anything else.

You may as well have a go at feather wing streamers, that will keep you busy for a very long time. I've been making them for........ 45 years (I had to count) and still have some to go
mcnerney, jaybo41 and calftail like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;