The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By flytire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 07:59 PM

troutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nice
Default New vise

I'm trying to decide between the Ranzetti Presentation 4000 and the Dyna king Barracuda. Does anyone have any input on either of these vises? Any other vise suggestions are appreciated too! I will be tying flies from about a size 4 hook to a size 24.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:34 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New vise

have you tried both of them to get a feeling if either one might fit your tying style??

thats the only way to decide
mcnerney likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 07-16-2013, 07:41 AM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Can't comment on the Barracuda, but I used a 4000 for a long time. Tied steelhead (1.5) down to midges (22's). Not a pro but was tying around 1000 flies a year on it. It is a very good vise. My only problem with it, and it is minor, is that I had a hard time working behind the hook on larger steelhead flies.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:51 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

You really can't go wrong with either of those vises, but I agree with what Flytire stated. If you can get into a fly shop and try the vises out, that way you will be able to make an informed decision on how the vise fits YOU. Good luck.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:18 AM

troutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nice

Thanks for the info! I guess i'll make a trip to the fly shop and try them out!
Old 07-16-2013, 03:25 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I just bought a Griffin Odyssey Spider. So far the vise performs great, I played with and put #14 up to 2/0.

P.S. I am new at this so I have nothing to compare it with.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:28 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I have the mongoose and there's not a single thing that I dislike about that vise. A good vise is worth the money!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2