The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 7 Post By calftail
  • 1 Post By stimmy7
  • 1 Post By calftail
  • 2 Post By calftail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 10:31 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default We ran out of hackle!

It was tough in the 70's. The flies needed to be smaller and India just wasn't giving us the hackle we needed for hatch matching.

The no-hackle dun.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by calftail; 07-18-2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: spelling D-
Old 07-19-2013, 01:38 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: We ran out of hackle!

Yeah, Messers. Swisher and Richards had us all going for awhile there...
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:53 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Their books Selective Trout and Fly Fishing Strategy were right behind Schwiebert's, Matching the Hatch in setting the tone for how I was to fly fish those early years. The "reach cast" was information that pushed me to a breakthrough and when Marinaro gave me the "puddle cast" in "The Ring of the Rise"...I was set!

Fly fishing to me became a lot clearer and man it started to become fun.

Thing was I no longer had to spend a fortune on fly tying materials. I learned the 2 p's ...pattern and presentation. Still the way I fish. I owe those guys a lot.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful work! I think that has to be Ard's favorite pattern for selective trout. It is becoming one of mine as well!

Old 07-24-2013, 04:52 PM

Duck shoulder...doubled and clumped.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:46 PM

Thought you might be interested in the link between Joe Brooks and Swisher and Richards. Joe says in his preface "It was my prvilege to be the first to report on this new developement, in an article published in "Outdoor Life" magazine in August of 1970."
Title page from "Selective Trout" and Joe's preface:
I'll follow with the article in another thread.............
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:51 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
Thought you might be interested in the link between Joe Brooks and Swisher and Richards. Joe says in his preface "It was my prvilege to be the first to report on this new developement, in an article published in "Outdoor Life" magazine in August of 1970."
Title page from "Selective Trout" and Joe's preface:
I'll follow with the article in another thread.............
I had this book checked out for weeks at a time from our local library in the 70's. I need to read it again...I fried a lot of brain cells since then.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:57 PM

I found the copy I had stashed in storage and took these pics....."Outdoor Life" magazine 1970:
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:57 PM

Ooops...I missed the last page of the article. Here it is......