The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 06:51 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: favorite damsel body?

Another method that I like

Old 07-21-2013, 09:31 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Thanks Darwin! I have not seen this pattern done on the Nor-Vise and since I have one I shall certainly use it. Nice!
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:18 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

Nope I mean adult dry dragonfly flies. Blue ones are most common but I tend to see a few green ones here and there. Saw a red one when I was on vacation, don't remember where though I was too little.

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin View Post
Just got on the PC quick. That video is sweet!! Looks like the perfect way for me to make my little Hareline style bodies. I Dont like the whole sewing needle part but I never thought of just dubbing one. What is something that is not as firm as a sewing needle but firm enough that I could dub something like that? Something heavier than standard fly tying wire but not as heavy as sewing needle? I dont have a Nor Vis but my vice should rotate good enough to do that
Old 07-21-2013, 11:38 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

They come in a large variety of colours here but I think blue is a pretty good colour for everywhere.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:41 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

First a comment before I get to my favorite damsel fly pattern.

There is a tendency to use a damsel fly and dragon fly interchangeably, but they are different species. Adult dragonflies tend to be thicker bodied than adult damsel flies and their nymphs look completely different from each other.

dragonfly nymph

Click the image to open in full size.

Damsel fly nymph

The adult blue flies that are commonly seen are blue damsels.

The best damsel pattern I have is the Borger Braided Butt Damsel

Tying instructions are below:

Gary Borger Braided Butt Damsel

FFF Fly Tying Group Membership Page

Some tiers have used foam to modify the pattern to guarantee a floating fly such as in the pattern below:

http://www.azflycasters.org/Archives...t%20Damsel.pdf

I mentioned this to Gary and he asked me whether the tiers had thought he had not considered foam. According to Gary, the trout can concentrate on the drowned damsels and the foam pattern cannot imitate drowned damsels because they always float. So tie the standard pattern first and add a few foam ones if you want. Compare the Borger damsel with other damsel patterns and you will note how realistic the braided butt pattern looks compared to foam, dyed deer hair, or dubbed abdomen patterns. None of these can match the thin abdomen of the natural insect. The Borger damsel is the most popular of all damsel patterns here in the colonies.

And use a strong tippet. The vicious take can often break you off.

Another point is that the stage before the mature blue damsel is the brown teneral phase. You can use a brown color marker to match the mono to tie up a few teneral patterns. The brown teneral patterns will also match brown dragon flies.

Cortland braided mono comes in 30 and 50 lb strengths. Get the 50 if you can. You can use the braided mono for making braided loops and the 50 lb is stronger.

The video below shows how damsels are vulnerable when they are under the water and how they get trapped in the film. A foam damsel pattern can't get that trapped in the film appearance.

Kerry Pitt likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 07-22-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:15 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
First a comment before I get to my favorite damsel fly pattern.

There is a tendency to use a damsel fly and dragon fly interchangeably, but they are different species. Adult dragonflies tend to be thicker bodied than adult damsel flies and their nymphs look completely different from each other.

dragonfly nymph

Damsel fly nymph

The adult blue flies that are commonly seen are blue damsels.

The best damsel pattern I have is the Borger Braided Butt Damsel

Tying instructions are below:

Gary Borger Braided Butt Damsel

FFF Fly Tying Group Membership Page

Some tiers have used foam to modify the pattern to guarantee a floating fly such as in the pattern below:

http://www.azflycasters.org/Archives...t%20Damsel.pdf

I mentioned this to Gary and he asked me whether the tiers had thought he had not considered foam. According to Gary, the trout can concentrate on the drowned damsels and the foam pattern cannot imitate drowned damsels because they always float. So tie the standard pattern first and add a few foam ones if you want. Compare the Borger damsel with other damsel patterns and you will note how realistic the braided butt pattern looks compared to foam, dyed deer hair, or dubbed abdomen patterns. None of these can match the thin abdomen of the natural insect. The Borger damsel is the most popular of all damsel patterns here in the colonies.

And use a strong tippet. The vicious take can often break you off.

Another point is that the stage before the mature blue damsel is the brown teneral phase. You can use a brown color marker to match the mono to tie up a few teneral patterns. The brown teneral patterns will also match brown dragon flies.

Cortland braided mono comes in 30 and 50 lb strengths. Get the 50 if you can. You can use the braided mono for making braided loops and the 50 lb is stronger.

The video below shows how damsels are vulnerable when they are under the water and how they get trapped in the film. A foam damsel pattern can't get that trapped in the film appearance.

egglaying Common blue damselflies, watersnuffel eiafzet (Enallagma cyathigerum) - YouTube

Thanks! I was wondering if there was a difference. So yes it seems around here we have blue damsels and green dragon flys. This is the pattern I usually like, only I use plastic for wings and I do a few wraps of a short hackle for legs. Trim the Hackle on top and bottom so it just sticks out to the sides. Nothing fancy but it seemed to work for me and was darned near impossible to sink.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:41 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest tying some patterns withe blue dubbing instead of foam. Then fish it wet without floatant and using a split shot to sink it. The takes are vicious.

Unknown to many fly fishers is the fact that the damsel flies lay eggs underwater and the fish take them submerged. Like grasshoppers, ants, and beetles, damselflies flies should be fished under water but rarely are.
kglissmeyer1 likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-22-2013, 11:10 PM

Can the split shot be put right in front of the fly? I hate fishing droppers and split shot, just a waist of leader and tippet for me. Im Pro at tying the pertiest birds nests known to man in 2 false casts...
Old 07-23-2013, 08:50 AM

Silver Creek I just love it when folks with passion for the sport dump their knowledge on us. I mean that in the best way, because even if I never ever came close to mistaking the two nymphs I get to see a bit more info I might not have know and some patterns and the list goes on. Thanks so much.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:35 AM

Thanks Kerry.

As to the split shot you want a small shot or sink putty heavy enough to sink the fly under the surface like a drowned damsel. Put it 12 inches in front of the fly. If you put it directly in front of the fly, it turns the fly into a jig which is not how a drowned damsel acts.

Jason Borger wrote a piece about fishing Damsels and Dragons:

Welcome to Chironomid.Com: A Site Dedicated To The Art Of Stillwater Fly Fishing

One method Jason does not describe in the article is blow line fishing. Fish jump for insects that hover. Hebgen Lake in Montana is one example. The fish there jump for hovering blue damsels. Damsel flies hover while egg laying and they also crawl underwater to lay their eggs. Hence both "drowned" or sunken patterns and "hovering" patterns catch fish. Note how the egg laying damsels below hover and dip, and even crawl underwater to lay eggs.

Drowned damsels are easy to imitate but how can you imitate a dipping and hovering damsel?

"Blow line fishing" is a technique described by both Gary LaFontaine and Gary Borger.

Gary Borger wrote about it in his book, Presentation pg 286. In Gary Borger's technique you use untwisted polypropylene yarn that is flatten and ironed to straighten the fibers. Then you form a "kite" out of it by whipping finishing a loop into it and attaching it to the end of your fly line and then attaching 2 feet of 2x or 3x mono to the "kite". The heavy tippet material is to prevent break offs. The strikes are vicious.

When there is enough wind blowing from off shore, you raise your fly rod and the use the wind to make the fly hover and dap the water surface just like a hovering damsel fly.

You can read Gary LaFontaine's article below:

"Floss Blow Line - Fly Angler's OnLine

Gary Borger's kite technique is more adaptable for I think and the wind does not have to be gale force.
flyfisher117 likes this.

Silver