The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 04:45 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default favorite damsel body?

I was looking into tying up a few dragon flies. Went to my LFS in search of some hareline woven damsel body material {love the stuff}. Owner told me he can't get any and believes its been discontinued. I'm still no good at foam flies can anyone reccomend another body materieal or another way to tie a blue and a few green dragon flies?

Sorry for spelling my fat fingers tend to hit a few cell phone buttons at one time.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:21 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Re: favorite damsel body?

If it helps, you can purchase Damselfly foam body cutters, so you can cut them from whatever colour foam you wish.http://www.ebay.ca/itm/River-Road-Da...98c7e70&_uhb=1
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:24 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough

I've seen those but wasn't sure how they worked. Do you just hit them with a hammer and they cut your foam like a cookie cutter?

Thing I liked about the hareline ones was that they were quick easy and effective and they were pretty well indestructable other than the wings.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:54 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

More like a cookie cutter. come with a pad to do the cutting on. I use them for terrestrial bodies.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:51 AM

Are they worth the money? Only thing I'm not not liking about them is they seem to make just a crude blocky looking fly. I liked my hareline flies cause they had little barbell eyes and hackle legs and they looked pretty good to me but the ones I'm seeing from the cutters look more crude than a charlie boy hopper haha
Old 07-21-2013, 04:49 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

mcnerney and flyfisher117 like this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 07-21-2013, 12:27 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Not as fine as some of the pre-made bodies but the foam cut-out can be trimmed up a bit to make it look a bit cleaner.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

Not quite the same or are they?
Amazon.com: Rainy's Blue Foam Damsel/Dragonfly Bodies 1/8": Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Rainy's Blue Foam Damsel/Dragonfly Bodies 1/8": Sports & Outdoors
mcnerney likes this.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:14 PM

Phone won't let me watch the video ill have to check it out next time I'm on the computer. From the looks of it id say its a decent fly just not sure on its long term floating. Those blue gill will sink anything that isn't foam.

Those foam boddies almost look like very large foam tubes?
Old 07-21-2013, 02:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
Flytire: Thanks for sharing that pattern, I was over on the Bighorn a few days ago and there was a pretty good hatch of damsels coming off but I didn't have any damsel nymphs! I'm going to solve that problem.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:19 PM

When you started talking of blue and green bodies I assumed you were talking dries, but are you talking about nymphs?