The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 08:16 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Pheasant Tails

Pheasant Tails come in all shapes and sizes. What a great nymph ! It's a real fishin' fly.

#18 by me...Tie one of yours up and let's see your variations.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by calftail; 08-01-2013 at 01:51 PM. Reason: same fly better pic
Old 08-01-2013, 09:08 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Pheasant Tails

Red PT with CDC on the bottom right corner of the box

Red Pheasant tail standard tie, with white CDC for the legs. Fish dig it

von behr, rubberguy and calftail like this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 08-01-2013, 09:43 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my favorite - a Bead-head, flashback PT that catches most of my fish for me. I also tie a non-bead version as well as micro sizes in 18 and 20.

I also tie them in a Parasol Emerger version:

Kelly.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:08 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Comeonavs,

Umm....red PT, that's a new one on me,would never have thought of that color. Good looking box you have going there!

Kelly,

Great flies. Looks like your go too and Comeonavs Olive PT in the lower right hand corner of his box are a popular favorite. One of these days I'll have to try a parasol.

Thanks guys for showing your ties.

---------- Post added at 07:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 AM ----------

Comeonavs red PT reminded me of Jim Teeny's nymph. Anybody tie or fish 'em.

Teeny has caught some monster fish on them.

pszy22 likes this.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:16 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

As suggested above, do check out Teeny nymphs. They are easy and cheap to tie, and very effective. There are a number of variations.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 08-02-2013, 01:43 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 08-03-2013, 06:36 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

Those are some good looking pheasant tails!

Ava, could you post a picture of your red ptn with CDC legs? I'd love to see that variation.

One that's been working well for me is a yellow ptn with rubber legs. It works especially well if there are sulphurs in the stream.

I've also had good luck with off hackle pheasant tails as well.

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
~ Arnold Gingrich
Old 08-03-2013, 08:56 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccola712 View Post
Those are some good looking pheasant tails!

Ava, could you post a picture of your red ptn with CDC legs? I'd love to see that variation.

One that's been working well for me is a yellow ptn with rubber legs. It works especially well if there are sulphurs in the stream.

I've also had good luck with off hackle pheasant tails as well.
Sorry for the terrible pics. I tie it in red and black versions , for the red,I use red PT, red wire wrap, then cut a piece of CDC so there are 4 fibers on each side of the feather. It is tricky but tie in your flash back,wrap your herl thorax, then tie in the CDC with fibers out like legs, tie flash back over the CDC and then you have wispy CDC legs.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 08-04-2013, 08:35 PM

Here is where I found that red pheasant tail pattern.

CDC for Nymphs - Fly Fisherman

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 08-04-2013, 09:15 PM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough

http://vimeo.com/m/68665267

This is how I tie my CDC Pheasant Tails.