The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 12:34 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Rotary vice help!

I've been out of fly tying for awhile. So I bought a pretty good tool kit from Cabelas. It was a very nice selection of tools in a nice wooden box and the vice came with both a C clamp and a nice heavy pedestal base. Much better than the one I bought when I was 16, and not at all shabby for thirty bucks.

Except for one thing. The vice was still a Paki piece of junk, just like it was back in the day. So, knowing this going in, I figured I'd keep everything but the vice. I started shopping and I got a great deal on a Griffin Montana Mongoose (NIB $130 on EBAY, rather than $230 retail). Now, I have a rotary vice, but no idea how to best use it. Can anyone help me with books or videos focusing on rotary tying? I get the concept, but being able to see someone actually use it would be a God Send. At this point, I'm just happy to have a Griffin vice that will actually hold a fly, but I'd like to take advantage of all its features.
Thanks
Old 08-03-2013, 01:50 PM

audax will become famous soon enoughaudax will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rotary vice help!

A search for "rotary fly tying" on youtube will bring up some videos of rotary techniques. There's also a dvd by Al Beatty on the subject. I've never seen it so can't make a purchase recommendation.

When polled on various boards, most folks tying on rotary vises state they use the rotary feature primarily for inspecting the fly-in-progress and less frequently for applying ribbing, palmering hackle, etc... You'll notice that many tyers on youtube don't even rotate the fly at all. Explore the rotary capabilities and just apply what benefits you.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:24 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rotary vice help!

6/7 months ago I made the switch from an AA vise that came with the tying kit my wife gave me to a rotary (Renzetti Traveller). It took me a little while to get used to it, but now that I've been tying on it for a short while I love and and don't see myself going back.

As Audax said, I don't use the rotary feature so much to palmer, ect, but I do use it to inspect flies, make sure everything is laying down evenly across the entire fly, and the like.

My best word of advise is to sit down at the vise, and tie a few different patterns, play with the rotary feature, and any other features on the vise to get your set up just how you want it. and learn how you'll use the features differently.

welcome to the forum and back to tying!!

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
~ Arnold Gingrich