The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 02:27 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough
Default Non-ceramic Bobbins

I have several non-ceramic bobbins that have served me fairly well over the past year or so, but I've developed a burr in one of them and it's cutting my line. Does anyone know of a good way to repair a burr inside the tube or is it not worth my time and should I just go buy a new bobbin. I'd like to save the $15 if I could (or maybe just get another one but either way it's not the end of the world!

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
~ Arnold Gingrich
Old 08-03-2013, 02:50 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Non-ceramic Bobbins

In my early days of tying, I had that happen to several bobbins. IMO, unless you're a machinist or in some other profession where you have free access to the required tools, and can make those repairs, it would likely cost more than the new bobbin to try to repair the old one, particularly if you need someone else to do it.

I now only buy the ceramic type, specifically those made by Griffin, and have never had a problem with them. I've got about a dozen of them now of various types.

Spend the money & get the better bobbin, it will be worth it in the long run if you do a lot of tying.
fredaevans likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-03-2013, 03:29 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

epoxy or heat shrink a glass seed bead to the end of the tube

Click the image to open in full size.

photo from the internet

or

get a ceramic or ceramic tipped bobbin holder. no more burrs

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 08-05-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:35 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

As above: you will have to use a bobbin threader after this fix. I have one of these I put the (glass) bead in with JB weld. Doesn't reliably suck-start with thread.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 08-03-2013, 08:55 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I got one for pretty cheap at bass pro. I now have 3 ceramic bobbins. Common colors just stay on the bobbin. Use it for wire and buy a ceramic bobbin.

Last edited by jcw355; 08-04-2013 at 05:25 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:05 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

flytire, that's really cool! I can honestly say I've never seen that before.

How can you be sure that the seed bead is smooth enough on the inside, not to cause the same problem that you're attempting to repair? I've seen plenty of beads that were cracked or deformed. Is there a certain quality you would need?

Not arguing with the repair, just asking!

The Griffin ceramic bobbins have what I'm assuming (yes, I know!) are inserts of much higher quality than a seed bead. I was thinking more in terms of expanding the old tube & adding the ceramic insert, although as you've shown, I would think a ceramic insert with the shrink tubing would work fine if you could get the inserts.

I have several old bobbins in need of repairs!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:21 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

i cannot predict or assure anyone that a seed bead is not going to have a crack as well as i cannot predict or assure anyone that buys a ceramic tipped or ceramic tube bobbin holder also wont be cracked. i have absolutely no control of what comes out of the company that makes them.

i also cannot predict or assure anyone of the quality of all other fly tying tools. some tyers have used metal tube bobbin holders for decades without a single problem. i also cannot predict or assure anyone of the quality between a $2.95 bobbin holder vs a $19.95 bobbin holder with metal tubes.

if it were me, i would delegate any problematic bobbin holder to the waste bin or start using it to hold various types of wire (lead, lead free, copper etc). then i'd search the different bobbin holder manufacturers for the least expensive ceramic tipped ones and replace all of my metal tube bobbin holders or bite the bullet and get the ceramic tube bobbin holders (tiemco).

i'm not trying to be argumentative here.

i supplied a simple solution to a common problem that over time can/will occur with some metal tube bobbin holders. as i pointed out above, there are solutions to the problem and in a price range to suit everyone's wallet.

happy tying

Old 08-04-2013, 07:23 AM

No argument here either! Excellent solution too & certainly inexpensive!

We're both thinking in the same terms, buy the better tool.

My question was only stemming from experience with beads that were not very good quality. I figured you might have a better handle on a particular brand or supplier.

I'm sure they vary a great deal.

Some of my older bobbins were damaged so badly that they didn't even work well for wire, at least not lead wire. I don't even use a bobbin for wire now.

When I tying commercially, I got into the habit of measuring & cutting the lead wire into lengths so I could duplicate the added weight each time I tied a particular pattern, and I kept notes about each pattern.

I gave the Tiemco ceramic tube bobbins a try, but didn't like them. Personal preference, nothing more. All the ones I use now are Griffin with the insert in the tube. A lot of the tying I do is with the Griffin Rod Wrapping bobbin, which is made to hold a 1 oz spool, and Danville Flat Nylon, my favorite tying thread, is available in 1 oz spools.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:22 AM

Most or today's bobbin holders will accommodate a wide variety of material spools by simply adjusting the arms to it them. The only thread spool they don't fit is the old gudebrod skinny spools. The height of spools from different manufacturers doesn't vary the much if at all.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:34 AM

I think I still have some of those old plastic Gudebrod fly tying bobbins & slim spools of thread around here. I had forgotten about them until now that you've mentioned them!

The 1oz spools are about twice the width of standard spools, and that bobbin is made for the larger spools popular with rod builders.

I broke a Griffin standard bobbin one time trying to pry the arms open enough to fit the 1 oz spools. The arm broke right at that little brass band, where they solder the whole thing together. That's when I went to the rod wrapping bobbins.

Lesson learned!