The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 01:12 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Good sources for marabou and chenille?

I need some marabou, chenille and dyed buck tail as I use a lot of these. I don't want to pay Orvis prices. Does anyone have any craft store or ebay tips?
Old 08-07-2013, 04:24 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Good sources for marabou and chenille?

try your local fly shop
jaybo41 likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 08-07-2013, 08:21 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
try your local fly shop
We used to have two of those. Then Gander Mountain came to town and drove them both under. After that, they barely carry any tying stuff.
So as of now, I'm on the net for supplies.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:41 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

JS Fly Fishing: Fly Tying Materials, Rod Building Supplies & More

J. Stockard has most anything you need and I have had great luck getting quality stuff and good prices.
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

As Mike suggested, I also use J Stockard and also FeatherCraft for fly tying materials. It is much preferred to buy where you can see first hand the quality, but that isn't always possible. My local fly shop doesn't carry much in the way of fly tying materials.
jaybo41 likes this.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:55 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
As Mike suggested, I also use J Stockard and also FeatherCraft for fly tying materials. It is much preferred to buy where you can see first hand the quality, but that isn't always possible. My local fly shop doesn't carry much in the way of fly tying materials.
My "local" fly shop is a two hour drive from my house...I rarely get to buy things in person for fly-tying. I have to trust a good supplier to do right by me. Maybe I should retire and open my own shop!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:30 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Click the image to open in full size.

grow some for a never ending supply. its where it comes from anyway!

---------- Post added at 07:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 AM ----------

does feather craft have a brick & mortar store or just catalog and online sales??

Old 08-07-2013, 09:31 AM

[QUOTE=flytire;579794]Click the image to open in full size.

grow some for a never ending supply. its where it comes from anyway!

---------- Post added at 07:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 AM ----------

I was going to grow some but my wife didn't think it was a good idea...lol!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:35 AM

White Turkey | Fly Tying Feathers | Marabou

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
I was going to grow some but my wife didn't think it was a good idea...lol!
you listen to your wife??

Old 08-07-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
White Turkey | Fly Tying Feathers | Marabou

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 AM ----------

you listen to your wife??
Of course I do! Not listening is a very bad thing.