The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 09:43 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default vice garbage catcher?

I've ordered some hackles from a guy and he is willing to throw in a vice mounted garbage catcher for $12 free shipping. I'm currently just using an ash tray, but I still have stuff all over the desk (where I also work). Do these things work well enough to be worth it or are they just a waste of money?
Thanks.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:24 PM

audax will become famous soon enoughaudax will become famous soon enough
Default Re: vice garbage catcher?

Work or not, I can't readily think of a vise mfr that doesn't offer this accessory.

Thought of getting one more than once over the last three decades, but never did. Despite seeming practical, I didn't like everything about them. I don't like the idea of having something swinging around on the vise's stand rod (a bobbin rest is plenty). When you swing it away from the vise jaws, it takes up real estate on the table or obscures access to items on the table. Not every waste catcher I've seen reaches out far enough from the stand rod to collect all the falling bits. And for that matter, some of the more troublesome waste (e.g., rabbit and marabou trimmings) drift rather than fall directly.

For my use, I rely on a small coffee can and a small dish towel. Larger trimmings, such as hackle stems and other quills, are placed directly in the can. The small towel, which is between my pedestal and table, has just enough texture to grab the other little bits and keep them from drifting across the table and onto the floor. When finished, the waste trimmings can be shaken off in the trash. The towel also serves to soften the clank of tools on the table (good for late night tying) and keeps tools, spools and other materials from rolling about. Not a spiffy setup, but it works well for me!

$12 is cheap enough to try it if you think it might be beneficial. But if that's money you'd rather spend on other goodies, there are other options.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:47 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I've thought about getting one and probably will. Like others, I use a bowl or something similar when I really need it. Whenever I spin deer hair I really want one. I wouldn't keep it on all the time, think it would get in the way, but when working with deer hair or other particularly messy materials it could be nice.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:12 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

i keep a small trash can between my feet, what doesnt go in there, goes on the floor or the bench. once i a while i'll clean it up,
stl_geoff likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 08-07-2013, 01:26 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

if i added a vise waste catcher between me and my belly, my arms wouldnt reach the vise

theres gotta be something around your house that has a lid on it to use for trimmings

after youre done with that chinese take out wash the container and use it on your tying bench. theyre inexpensive. using the lid prevents fly tying fluff all over the place when you spill it

rubbermaid and tupperware containers are also good

Click the image to open in full size.

wash out that hamburger/meat container. youre gonna throw it away anyway. make use of it!

a waste basket from the dollar store will save you money for more materials

be creative. think about it. experiment
Liphookedau likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 08-07-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:57 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

The static charge of plastic attracts alot of floating fibres, if you line the plastic or non plastic container with a plastic bag it will be easier to clean out.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:46 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

i have seen no problems with static when using plastic food containers of any kind.

maybe its the summer humidity thats keeping the static low.

its a b!tch working with hairs of any kind during the winter when there is less/no humidity. the hair will stick to just about anything. place a humidifier in your tying area to add some moisture to the air.

i line all waste baskets in my house with plastic garbage bags.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 08-08-2013, 06:21 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

At home I use one and it works well the way I have thing arranged. Half under the table and half in front (c-clamp mount). On the road I use a pedestal base and the garbage collector would get in the way. With the pedestal base I use a swiffer sheet under the tying area. It catches most of the small stuff. The bigger stuff goes straight into the garbage can.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:56 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishiowa View Post
At home I use one and it works well the way I have thing arranged. Half under the table and half in front (c-clamp mount). On the road I use a pedestal base and the garbage collector would get in the way. With the pedestal base I use a swiffer sheet under the tying area. It catches most of the small stuff. The bigger stuff goes straight into the garbage can.
That's a useful tip. I'll try the swifter pad (I have them anyway).
Old 08-08-2013, 09:45 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Like many others I've always been going to get one however what I use is much The same as flytire only my Bin is White & Round.
I find The used Meat Containers beaut as I have my Vyce in one & all my discards go in an Old Margarine Tub.
Brian
flytire likes this.